National Importers is a Vancouver, B.C. Consumer Packaged Goods company that has since 1947 been an importer and distributor of specialty food from all around the world for resale to the Canadian and US Markets.
We are seeking an experienced, Assistant Controller to join our team in our Richmond office. The ideal candidate will be experienced in a CPG environment and in senior financial accountant roles. Reporting to the Controller, the Assistant Controller will be responsible for assisting in the management of overall financial operations and will work with the team to provide accurate information to Senior Management and externally; including analysis, budgeting, forecasting and preparation of financial statements and reports.
The successful candidate will also be responsible for aiding in the direction and management of the Company’s accounting functions, including establishing and maintaining accounting principles, practices, and procedures as well as maintaining the company’s accounting systems and implementing changes as required by the Controller.
Specific Responsibilities Include:
- Execute month-end closing for Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable, and General Ledger.
- Prepare and post Journal entries including recurring, standard, funding and month-end.
- Preparation of financial statements including variance analysis.
- Prepare departmental reports.
- Balance Sheet Reconciliations including accounting analysis and brand bill-backs.
- Prepare GST/HST/QST remittances and calculate recycling payments.
- Prepare Volume rebate (quarterly and monthly).
- Calculate Broker Commissions (monthly).
- Inter-company accounts maintenance and reconciliation.
- Monitor inventory cycle counts for variances.
- Assist with annual budget preparation and year-end review/audit.
- Training and mentoring of accounting staff, as needed.
- Coordination between Finance and other departments.
- Assist in resolving day to day issues in accounting and other departments.
- University degree in Business/Accounting, with advanced degree or professional accounting designation (CPA) preferred.
- A minimum of 4-5 years of experience in a related position.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office applications.
- A grocery background is an asset.
- General knowledge of ERP systems; experience in EPICOR an asset.
- Experience in a CPG, importing and distribution environment preferred.
- Strong analytical, problem solving and decision-making skills
- Able to effectively prioritize and adapt in a dynamic work environment.
- Able to work independently and a team player at the same time
- Strong communication skills, verbal and written.
Please email your resume and cover letter.
We thank all who apply but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Job Type: Full-time