To manage nursery yard staff, inventory products and self-guided general nursery duties. Both office (administrative) and outdoor tasks involve some computer knowledge and equipment operation respectively.
Organization and Position Description:
Selections is a plant nursery and landscape stone supply yard open to both retail and contractor customers. The yard is open Monday to Friday all year. The Nursery Yard Supervisor will work closely with yard staff supervising and organizing daily tasks and with company owners coordinating monthly duties and providing weekly updates. Majority of daily interactions will be with customers in the yard and over the phone.
Nursery Yard Duties:
· Manages/supervises yard staff and organizes daily tasks.
· Helps customers in the yard and on the phone: answer plant questions and make suggestions, answer stone installation and product questions; load plants and stone with forklift when necessary.
· Ability to be involved in physical labour tasks including but not limited to pruning, unloading plant and stone inventory and moving stock within.
· Plant List sourcing: contacting wholesaler, pricing out plant material and providing reasonable substitutions when necessary.
· General labour: Daily/weekly tasks include weeding, fertilizing and applying pesticides.
· Keeps company owners informed by summarizing sales information and staff productiveness.
· Maintains yard staff job results by coaching, counseling, and disciplining employees; planning, monitoring, and appraising job results.
· Maintains professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops and seminars (paid for by Selections); reviewing professional publications; establishing personal networks; participating in professional societies.
· Inventory: Create purchase orders and barcode labels for incoming supplier orders; create sales receipts for outgoing customer orders. All inventory and sales processes are compiled in an inventory database using Quickbooks applicant will be trained on system.
· Sales: Process retail customer sales using Point of Sale (POS) system; create invoices for contractor “On Account” sales; open and close till and sales counter (training applicable for all above mentioned systems).
· Administrative: Answer phone (portable for use in nursery yard), email and faxes.
· Plant identification knowledge of regional plant material required.
· Keen focus on efficient productivity.
· Physically fit and willing to work in all weather conditions.
· Inventory Management, Delegation, Managing Processes, Supervision, Reporting Skills
· 2 year technical diploma in Horticulture or related designation.
· Work experience in a production nursery, retail garden centre or landscape construction.
Application deadline: 2020-08-17
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
Salary: $20.00-$30.00 per hour
Our sales desk/office is set up to allow physical distancing between customers and staff. A plexiglass screen is in place and POS terminal, computer and doors are sanitized after each use.