St. Margaret’s School seeks a Maintenance & Grounds Worker. Under direction of the Manager, the Maintenance & Grounds Worker performs a variety of maintenance functions for the School’s buildings and grounds. The School’s buildings and grounds must always be maintained in a condition of operating excellence. This job assumes the primary responsibility for the safety and cleanliness of all School buildings and grounds. This is also a customer service position and the Maintenance & Grounds Worker must be willing to address concerns from staff, students and a variety of visitors to our campus.
Duties and Responsibilities
Responsibilities will include the following:
- Maintains the School’s infrastructure by:
o Attending to day to day facility needs.
o Ensuring cleanliness and good repair of interior and exterior spaces, e.g. common areas, classrooms, playground equipment, entranceways, building roofs, etc.
o Undertaking minor project work and repairs that involve plumbing, drywalling, painting, carpentry, and minor electrical work.
o Performs preventative maintenance on building equipment and machinery including HVAC systems.
o Responding to teacher requests to fabricate structure for school projects.
o Moving, setting up, dismantling and storing equipment for school functions and events.
o Minor repairs to furniture and appliances.
o Replaces light bulbs, ballasts and cleans light fixtures.
- Opens/closes building and checks for cleanliness, good repair and safety.
- Performs general building and grounds maintenance and project work in other school areas as may be assigned.
- Maintains school pathways and roads, cleaning drains and sweeping debris.
- Snow clearing by hand, and with equipment, spreading sand and salt on pathways and roadways around the campus as required.
- Pressure washing of buildings and pathways.
- Maintains tools and equipment related to maintenance such as lubricating, sharpening, replacing broken handles and making simple adjustments and repairs, as needed.
- Maintains and completes records and reports.
- Relieves in the absence of other maintenance and grounds staff.
- Performs other related duties as required.
- Completion of Grade 12
- Journeyperson certification preferred such as electrician, plumber, or carpenter
- 3-5 years building and grounds maintenance work experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- Valid BC Class 5 Driver’s License with clean drivers abstract
- Working knowledge of WHMIS and WCB regulations
- Appreciation of and adherence to sustainable, conservation-minded building standards
- Ability to use hand tools, power equipment and machinery
- Understanding of BC building codes
- Ability to service and perform small mechanical repairs
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team, prioritize work, meet deadlines and school schedule needs
- Able to communicate effectively (both orally and written), and able to develop and maintain good relationships with customers, staff, managers and other groups
- Ability to lift and move heavy plants, materials and equipment
- Ability to work well under adverse weather conditions
- Ability to successfully obtain Ministry of Justice criminal record check clearance
- Able to take direction; and work independently
- Ability to establish good relationships with staff, faculty and students
- Positive role model to all members of the St. Margaret’s community
- Actively support the vision, mission and values of our school
- Handling heavy loads
- May require work in hazardous environments requiring protective equipment
- May be exposed to dust and high noise levels
- May be required to work on ladders, rooftops, and in unfavorable weather conditions
- Manual dexterity required to use desktop computer and peripherals
- Overtime and weekend work as required
- Interacts with residents, family members, staff, visitors and government agencies
- Combination of sitting, standing, walking, bending, crouching and kneeling for extended periods of time
Reference ID: 1920042
Contract length: 6 months
Job Types: Full-time, Temporary
- building and grounds maintenance: 3 years (Required)
- journeyperson certification, which certification(s): 1 year (Preferred)
- Secondary School (Required)