Overall Purpose: Under the direction of the Manager: Community Programs and Veterinarian, the Assistant: Veterinary Technician: MSNS, is responsible for providing medical and other service for Ottawa Humane Society (OHS) and owned animals aboard the OHS Mobile Spay Neuter Clinic.
Estimated Start Date: ASAP
Hours of work: 37 hours per pay period. Individuals must be available Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday. The main duties/responsibilities for 4 hour shifts are wrapping packs and doing other prep work needed for the MSNS program. The 10.5 hour shift is on the mobile clinic involving client interaction/follow up; health monitoring of cats; post and preoperative care following spay/neutering surgery of animals; cleaning and maintaining animal holding areas; assisting the Veterinary Technician and Veterinarian as required and driving the vehicle to and from various Ottawa mobile clinic locations. In addition to strong animal care skills and knowledge, the successful candidate must have a valid driver’s licence and be comfortable driving a 29 foot cube van (driver safety training provided).
- Provide medical and general animal assessment services
- Monitor animal health and well-being
- Provide prescribed treatments and other medical interventions
- Clean and maintain animal holding areas
- Assist the veterinary technician and veterinarians as required
- Assist and support clients as required
- Drive spay neuter vehicle to and from program locations and elsewhere as required
- *Please contact careers @ ottawahumane.ca if you would like a copy of the full job description.
- Minimum 2 years’ relevant experience, or
- A diploma or certificate in animal care and minimum 1 year’s relevant experience
- Demonstrated excellent customer service, crisis management and conflict resolution skills
- Ability to work in a fast paced and demanding environment and to work collaboratively in a team environment
- Demonstrated ability to relate well to people from a wide variety of backgrounds
- Advanced verbal and written skills in English are required
- Bilingualism (English/French) is preferred
Essential duties and working conditions:
- Employees will be required to work evening, holiday and weekend shifts
- Employees will be required to work off-site across the City of Ottawa in tight work conditions
- Employees will be required to stand for long periods of time while performing work requiring concentration and manual dexterity.
- Employment is conditional upon the ability to provide services in a safe manner, including, but not limited to lifts and transfers of large animals.
- Employees will be required to wear a uniform designated by the employer
- Employment is conditional upon the ability to work around all species of animals safely
- Employment is conditional upon maintaining confidentiality of OHS information
- Employment is conditional upon maintaining a valid Ontario driver’s licence
- Employment is conditional upon successful completion of driver training for OHS MSNS vehicle and ability to drive vehicle in a safe manner
The Ottawa Humane Society is an equal opportunity employer. The OHS offers accommodation for applicants with disabilities in its recruitment processes. If you are contacted by the OHS regarding a job opportunity, please advise prior to the interview if you require accommodation.
Job Type: Part-time
Salary: $20.17 to $24.57 /hour
- assistant veterinary technician: 2 years (Required)
- Driver's Licence (Required)
- English (Required)
- French (Preferred)