We are currently looking for a Junior Hardware Engineer (JHE) to join our team at our Markham, Ontario, CANADA location. The Junior Hardware Engineer's role is to assist our hardware engineers in developing, testing, and supporting WAN/LAN based products such as gateways, switches, remote terminal units, IoT nodes, I/O interfaces and remote sensors. Additional responsibilities include working with support teams for customer assistance in troubleshooting field installations, as well as working on our compliance efforts to obtain regulatory approvals for EMC and other relevant standards. This position requires a highly motivated, independent individual. Prior experience in developing networking equipment is preferred. The ideal candidate has an undergraduate degree in Electrical Engineering; had exposure to developing hardware based networking products, and a good understanding of overall networking concepts.
- Assist in circuit design.
- Assisting in PCB layout, production and validation.
- Development of mixed signal systems, engineering boards and test fixtures.
- Evaluate semiconductor devices, analog/RF circuits, biometric sensors and multi-core CPUs.
- Simulation and testing of prototype circuits.
- Perform device/board level diagnostics and testing.
- Analyze the performance of circuits, analog signal acquisition systems or sensors.
- Prioritize and schedule problems. Escalate problems (when required) to the appropriately experienced Optima personnel.
- Evaluate documented issues and faults, analyze possible fault trends for ways to prevent future problems.
- Identify and learn appropriate software and hardware used and supported by Optima.
- Perform hands-on board/component level repairs, including soldering and desoldering, implementing trace/wire patches, and documenting the changes.
- Test modifications to ensure issues have been adequately resolved.
- Develop test procedures and knowledge base articles for Optima’s internal use.
- Perform related duties consistent with the scope and intent of the position.
Formal Education & Certification
- Undergraduate’s or Associate’s degree in Electrical Engineering or equivalent experience (2 or more years of experience as a Junior Hardware Engineer).
Knowledge & Experience
- Knowledge of basic computer hardware.
- Experience with board level hardware development.
- Knowledge of LAN, WAN, cellular networking systems.
- Knowledge of troubleshooting networks, and data communications equipment.
- Working knowledge of a range of diagnostic utilities.
- Experience with troubleshooting electronics down to the component level.
- Experience with desktop operating systems including Windows and Linux.
- Familiarity with PCB design tools (ALTIUM Designer).
- Experience with high speed PCB layout.
- Experience with analog and digital system design (circuit design, layout and evaluation).
- Familiarity with mixed signal, low power, battery based systems.
- Proficiency in prototyping, troubleshooting and qualifying circuits.
- Exposure to µC based systems (ARM, Cortex M).
- Exposure to I/O protocols (such as I2C, SPI, USB).
- Familiarity with general lab equipment.
- Experience with EMC regulatory compliance guidelines.
- Experience with SPICE simulation a plus.
- Good understanding of the organization's goals and objectives.
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills, with a focus on rapport-building, listening, and questioning skills.
- Strong documentation skills.
- Ability to conduct research into a wide range of hardware/computing issues as required.
- Ability to absorb and retain information quickly.
- Ability to present ideas in user-friendly language.
- Highly self motivated and directed.
- Keen attention to detail.
- Proven analytical and problem-solving abilities.
- Ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment.
- Experience working in a team-oriented, collaborative environment.
- Sitting for extended periods of time.
- Manual dexterity to operate a computer keyboard, mouse, power tools, and to handle other computer components, lab equipment and common PCB rework tools.
- Lifting and transporting of moderately heavy objects, such as computers and peripherals.
- Candidate must have legal working status, be a permanent resident or Canadian citizen, and be fluent in English.
- This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office and electronics lab equipment.
- This job will occasionally require travel to facilities and locations operated by Optima's customers.