Director of Engineering– Vancouver
About Lambda Solutions
Lambda Solutions will be the leaders in redefining the future of learning through innovation. We are a small/big team of driven, smart, and curious individuals who love to solve problems. Our technology, training, and services support millions of learners in all sectors, including education, healthcare, government, manufacturing, retail, and technology. We KNOW you’ll have fun (and learn a ton!) working with us.
Check us out on Glassdoor (https://www.glassdoor.ca/Overview/Working-at-Lambda-Solutions-EI_IE853585.11,27.htm) and G2 (https://www.g2.com/products/lambda-suite/reviews).
For over 15 years Lambda Solutions has been providing innovative solutions for organizations across multiple industries who sell and manage eLearning. Our deep knowledge of open source LMS, Learning Analytics and eCommerce allows for completely integrated eLearning solutions that support over two million learners worldwide, with 600+ installations. Our portfolio includes global customers such as Realogy, IFSE, Subaru, Toyota, and Tyson.
We are looking for a highly innovative, collaborative, and resolute Director of Engineering to lead, with an emphasis on system performance optimization, the design, development, and implementation of the software architecture that integrates and connects the company's core applications. We are looking for someone who can attract industry-leading talent, build efficient team structure, and scale the development to continue to position our company as one of the industry's leading innovators.
Our infrastructure runs primarily on AWS. You should be familiar with modern DevOps pipelines, event-driven architectures and cloud technologies that support scalable, distributed systems.
What You’ll Be Doing - the day to day
- Recruit, hire and retain A+ technical talent
- Engage and inspire our engineering teams to create innovative products celebrated by our customers and industry
- Collaborate with Product team
- Align strategic business goals with technical delivery schedules. This will include high level planning and sizing of roadmap initiatives, supported by incremental agile delivery metrics for assessing and forecasting progress
- Communicate engineering progress to the organization, including regular department updates to senior and executive leadership
- As a leader, you must still be proficient in writing code
- Extensive experience and leadership in design and developing high performance, scalable, maintainable and fault-tolerant enterprise SaaS/Cloud applications that follow proven design principles
- Continuously increase test coverage, harden application security and improve system maintainability throughout the product development lifecycle
- Evaluate and propose cloud infrastructure and cost optimization strategies
- Assist with managing and forecasting departmental budgets for infrastructure, personnel, software, training and services
Who You Are - The Essentials
- 5+ years in hands-on engineering roles
- 3+ years in management role
- Available to work in the Atlantic Time Zone.
- 3+ years in developing enterprise grade SaaS platforms
- Solid understanding of AWS Well-Architected Framework, modern devops practices (devops maturity framework), microservice architectures, and scaling enterprise SaaS platforms
- Solid understanding of OOP, relational database design, functional programming, and PHP/JS/MySQL Several years of experience building, leading and inspiring high-performing Engineering teams
- A track record of adapting delivery strategies and architectures to increase deployment tempo, reduce cycle times and improve product quality metrics within a SaaS platform
- Strong planning, budgeting and recruiting experience
- Knowledge of cloud-native architectures for building scalable, maintainable and observable systems
- Experience with Agile development methodologies (Scrum, Kanban, etc.)
- Familiarity with modern DevOps and release management practices
- Knowledge of secure coding practices, least privilege policies and layered security models for securing and protecting sensitive data
- Ability to inspire and foster an environment of collaborative, creative problem solving
- Excellent interpersonal skills and high emotional intelligence
Who You Are - The Desirables
- Experience in e-commerce and education sectors
- Experience with Data Analytics
- Experience with Azure / AWS
- Experience with cloud technologies for advanced business intelligence / analytics
- Experience with InfoSec standards ISO-27001
- Experience working with remote team
Reporting to the CEO you will be part of our management team based in our Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada office.
Lambda Solutions is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive work environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. We invite you to consider opportunities at Lambda Solutions regardless of your gender; gender identity; gender reassignment; age; religion; race; national origin; political affiliation; sexual orientation; disability; veteran status; or other non-merit factors.
Job Type: Full-time
- Company events
- Dental care
- Extended health care
- Paid time off
- Vision care