About the role
We are looking for a committed Mobile Developer to join our fantastic and growing company! You’ll be part of Legible’s development team, tasked with creating a platform for accessible reading and collaboration. Our pre-existing team consists of industry leaders and incredible local talent. We have irreplaceable support being supplied to us through both management and external agencies; this will allow us to glide on over any hurdles we encounter. You have the ability to learn and adapt to new technologies through training, self-advancement, and collaboration with peers, then look no further!
What makes this job different
You will be coming in and doing what you do best, making an impact across our development group. Being a startup, we are in need of project leaders and people who want to take on that extra responsibility, this role will also have the chance to grow with you or provide openings into other avenues of management. We have no legacy code to contend with which means that you are able to pick the path that is best for you and your team. If this sounds like the challenge, room to breathe, and grow that you have been waiting for then don’t hesitate to reach out!
What you’ll be doing
- Research, create proofs of concept and introduce new technologies to the team
- Build advanced mobile applications with responsive design in mind
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to define and ship new features
- Unit-test code for robustness, including edge cases, usability, and general reliability
- Continuously discover, evaluate, and implement new technologies to maximize development efficiency
- Design, develop, test, refactor and scale implementations of new and existing consumer product features
- Mentor a team of software developers and maintain a healthy, collaborative culture in line with the company values as we navigate through growth
- Work closely with our product team to launch new features
- Design, develop, document, test, and debug complex and large-scale applications
- Participate in the full software development life cycle
- Analyze code to find causes of errors and revise the applications as needed
- Be involved in hiring developers, making sure it’s well-staffed
- Work to the provided project plan, ensure that it is followed and that the set goals are being achieved, working with the team to get things on course if they are not
- Support the junior development team, support them on the day to day activities and provide regular, key updates to the Engineering Manager
- Encourage Agile behaviors, reinforce practices, norms, ceremonies, and support the overall team performance and effectiveness
Some key things about you
- Experience with working in a fast-growing company
- Experience in translating functional requirements into technical specifications with estimations
- Broad understanding of the design and architecture of modern mobile applications
- Value teamwork: demonstrated ability to collaborate with cross-functional and distributed teams
- Experience in conducting code reviews to ensure consistent quality, robustness, and conformance to standards and best practices.
- Great interpersonal skills - we work very closely together as a team and require a lot of communication
- Eagerness to experiment and never stop learning
- The ability to take and give feedback with grace
- Interest in social impact and care for the product being created
Key experience and skills
- 5+ years of experience in full-stack development
- 2-4 years of experience with React Native or Flutter
- Experience with full-cycle React Native application development
- Experience mentoring intermediate and junior developers
- Proficient understanding of code versioning tools such as Git and GitHub
- Familiarity with cloud technologies such as AWS or Azure
- Be the driving force of our evolution from the web to mobile with your proficient experience in Android and iOS platforms
- Experience with UI development would be a bonus
- Experience working in a digital publishing environment would be beneficial
Our technology stack
- Frontend: JS/TS, React, Apollo
- Backend: JS/TS, Node.js, GraphQL, Graphile
- Mobile: React Native, Swift/Objective C, Kotlin
- Storage: S3-like, Postgres, Redis, MongoDB
- Data Pipeline: Python, Haskell, Kafka
- Infrastructure: Azure, AWS, CloudFlare, Terraform
Resumes are great, but they don’t share your personality, your passion, or your story. We really would like you to include a cover letter and here’s what we’d like to know:
- What should we call you (maybe it’s a short form of your name)?
- What are your pronouns?
- Is there anything about Legible that you connect with?
- And tell us something fun about you. Are you a former bowling champ? Do you love Dungeons & Dragons? Maybe you’re a competitive knitter. Or perhaps you have family in a far-off country that means the world to you. We want to know.
Come and join us on our mission to empower and connect authors and readers through open access to a global reading and publishing platform. Legible is making books beautiful and accessible.
At Legible, we’re transforming the world of stories by not just creating a new and beautiful eBook platform to experience, but by making stories truly accessible. That means being available to everyone, everywhere, on any device, as well as working with assistive technologies, and making sure local and meaningful stories aren’t buried by search bias. Surrounding that, we’re going to be creating fantastic new ways for authors and readers to connect, with features to delight publishers big and tiny alike.
To make that magic happen takes amazing people. Sometimes that comes in the form of someone with untapped potential who needs to be given a shot, who wants a place where they can be heard and engaged, and sometimes amazing people come in the form of those seeking to quietly lead by example, sharing wisdom and wanting to mentor others.
We believe in the value of having a diverse team. Different backgrounds, upbringings, lifestyles, and perspectives make us stronger, wiser, and more capable. If you’re looking for somewhere that wants you for the awesome person you are, and not just what you can do, we just might be the place for you.
Our Community Values: Accessibility, Sustainability, Beauty, and Integrity
Legible is a startup with a heart - a company that values equity and diversity at its very core. It is somewhere you can come to grow and experience different areas of the business. We are a small but mighty team, who are just turning the page on a new and exciting chapter of growth.
- An inclusive working environment - anyone and everyone is welcome at Legible
- A flexible working schedule
- Great paid time off package, including a paid winter break
- A comprehensive extended health benefits package that includes health, dental, and vision
- A multitude of avenues for career growth and change
- An open door policy - you can approach any member of leadership with confidence
- Community Values - We work together as a team to better our local and global communities. We are invested in making a positive difference in the world.
“Systemic racism is a machine that runs whether we pull the levers or not, and by just letting it be, we are responsible for what it produces. We have to actually dismantle the machine if we want to make change.” —Ijeoma Oluo, So You Want to Talk About Race
At Legible, we strive for diversity and inclusion to create a genuinely healthy and equitable workplace for everyone. We are committed to the ongoing process of building a culture of respect at every level, ensuring that everyone feels safe, supported, and valued.
Let's be real: employee handbooks always talk a lot about diversity and inclusion, but in the actual day-to-day, employees indulge in microaggressions toward BIPOC colleagues, claim that “sexism goes both ways,” and so on. At Legible, we know that oppression is systemic and structural. Cis privilege, non-disabled privilege, white privilege, male privilege—these are real and have consequences for people. We're aware that being marginalized at work causes real distress, especially when accountability doesn't seem to exist.
How is Legible going to dismantle the machine and what makes us different? It starts here, everyone has an opportunity to join Legible and make a difference - our hiring process is fair and equitable. As a company, we will be devoted to providing regular training and info sessions to our employees to ensure that we are aware of our privileges and will work to address microaggressions on a daily basis. One look at Legible.com will show how committed we are to diversity and inclusivity. We are a company that will beautifully entwine, celebrates, and support diverse cultures and varying beliefs.
A few years ago, an interviewer asked Lin-Manuel Miranda, the creator of the Broadway smash-hit Hamilton, why his cast was so diverse. Miranda replied, "That's just what happens when you go looking for the very best people!" At Legible, we couldn't agree more!
Legible recognizes the right for human beings to self-identify. You are valued, safe, and supported.
To be considered for this position, you must be eligible to work in Canada without sponsorship and pass a background check.
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
Salary: From $90,000.00 per year
- Day shift
- Monday to Friday
- No weekends
- Are you eligible to work legally in Canada without sponsorship?
- mobile development: 2 years (preferred)