Full-time, Temporary (12 Month Term)
Want to be part of a team that makes a difference? Come be part of the change.
Since 1920, APEGA has been regulating the practices of engineering and geoscience to serve the public interest in Alberta.
We are looking for energetic individuals who thrive in a dynamic, fast-paced, and challenging environment. You need to be committed to serving the community with integrity, accountability, and innovation, and have a desire to deliver exceptional service. If you have the knowledge, skills, and abilities to make a difference through your work, are goal focused and passionate about working with the latest software systems – then come be a part of our team!
Together we can help shape the present and future practices of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists of Alberta.
Reporting to the Director, Finance, the Controller is responsible for the delivery of timely and accurate financial reporting to APEGA. This includes the development, implementation and operation of multiple financial management systems.
This position plays a key role in assisting the Director, Finance build and refine the Finance function by developing financial control measurements to identify and monitor standards and performance within the functions of accounting, financial reporting, and financial analysis. In addition, this position will support the Director, Finance in delivering strategic financial services to APEGA, in accordance with the organization’s strategic, business, and organizational plans.
The Controller serves as a technical expert to the Director, Finance and Management on all finance and accounting related topics.
This role is responsible for day-to-day supervision and performance management for the Accounts Payable Clerk and the Accounting Clerk positions.
- Execute the strategic direction of Finance, including implementation of value-added Finance processes and services that support APEGA's goals and objectives
- Analyze internal developments within the finance department that may have an impact on APEGA’s functional areas, operations, and/or direction and provide with recommendations to the Director, Finance
- Application of key initiatives that support the organization’s financial sustainability, effectiveness and operational efficiency
- Actively collaborate with the preparation and documentation of risk mitigation strategies as part of APEGA's Enterprise Risk Management framework by participating on the ERM committee
- Develop and assess Key Performance Indicators (KPI) to identify, communicate, and implement processes that drive efficiency; and keep current with relevant developments and trends in the accounting profession, including updating the Director, Finance on new or changes to taxation legislation, GAAP standards, and/or when issues arise
- Maintain a documented system of accounting policies and procedures and maintain a system of controls over financial and accounting transactions
- Actively manage and support the coordination of financial processes and services, including the month-end, quarter-end, and year-end close processes and year-end audit
- In charge of full cycle accounting process. Responsible for month-end, quarter-end and year-end financial statement reporting
- Maintain the chart of accounts, including reporting trees and internal financial reporting templates
- General Ledger (GL) business owner, administration and controls for GL and sub-GLs, ensuring entries are reconciled on a timely basis
- Review monthly reconciliations for Bank accounts, Accounts Receivables and Payables with their corresponding sub-ledger
- Maintain all financial supporting schedules such as cash, prepaids, investments, capital asset amortization, accruals and leases
- Establish financial controls to monitor accuracy of financial information and workflows are completed within pre-determined deadlines
- Lead various financial services ensuring adherence and compliance to GAAP, regulations and statutory legislation, and Finance policies
- Work with Executive, Management and Staff to assist with the annual budget process
- Prepare APEGA’s forecasts in collaboration with APEGA’s department managers. Document and present department’s forecast variance analysis
- Support the Director, Finance with the preparation of budget and forecast packages
- Responsible for all regulatory filings and remittances to comply with provincial and federal government tax filings (excluding payroll remittances)
- Use financial control measures to identify and monitor standards and performance, communicating results, advice and options
- Review and provide recommendations based on financial and variance analysis
- Review and interpret financial statements, reports, and forecasts, reporting findings to the Director, Finance, Executive Team, and management
- Support and assist in the continuous improvement of the Finance department
- Maximize the potential of APEGA’s accounting tools and request the implementation of new features to minimize manual processing of transactions when needed.
- Actively participate in the development and implementation of Finance initiatives
- Provide subject matter advice and general assistance to the Director, Finance, as required
- Provide recommendations and implementation plans for improvements and/or development of Finance services and financial controls to increase efficiency and stewardship of APEGA’s financial resources
- Identify opportunities for automating workflows to improve efficiency
- Liaise with external stakeholders, banks, government, auditors, and lawyers to prepare required working documents and discuss financial affairs related to the organization for recommendation of various courses of action
- Staffing schedules, reporting modifications, and/or changes
- Recommendations on selection, training, and evaluation
- Completing annual Performance Management review
- Provide coaching and mentoring of Finance team members on a day-to-day basis and for new procedures or initiatives, including cross-training team members, when applicable, under the Director, Finance’s guidance
- Resolve staff concerns and queries, escalating as needed.
Skills & Attributes
- Advance user with implementation, accounting routines, financial reporting and maintaining mid-size ERP accounting packages. (such as Great Plains, Oracle, SAP)
- Advanced user in Microsoft excel (building complex formulas, pivot tables, VBA coding) is required to expedite financial reporting and minimize manual repetitive work.
- Strong user of Microsoft Suite (Word, PowerPoint, Visio, Outlook, Teams, SharePoint).
- Ability to maintain an Enterprise Risk Management framework (preferably COSO based).
- Ability to develop consensus, improve efficiency, engage stakeholders, secure co-operation and commitment from peers in other departments by communicating effectively across the organization and implement innovative concepts or ideas.
- Post-secondary degree in Business, Accounting, Finance or a related field
- CPA designation
- 3 – 5 years of full cycle accounting, including financial statements preparation, reporting, analysis
- Experience with direct supervision and leadership of A/R, A/P, payroll, producing financial statements, budget preparations and oversight and working with financial systems
Closing Date: Until successful candidate is found
If you are interested in this position, please submit your cover letter and resume, including your salary expectations, as one pdf document (file name: LastName_FirstName.pdf) to Human Resources.
Please note, each submission needs to clearly indicate the competition number of the position you are applying for. If you are submitting a resume for multiple positions, please ensure you send a separate submission for each competition.
_Thank you for your interest in APEGA.
Only those candidates selected for interviews will be contacted_.
Job Types: Full-time, Temporary