Our Place Peel is a non-profit charitable organization that is focused on providing shelter and outreach programs for homeless and disadvantaged youth in the Region of Peel.
Vision - All youth have a place to call home
Mission - Empowering youth through prevention, intervention and support in accessing safe and sustainable housing
We are searching for energetic, enthusiastic and highly motivated Youth Worker (Overnight-Awake) that will work out of the Emergency Youth Shelter located in Mississauga. Shifts run from 11pm – 9am on a 5 week rotation.
In this role, you will have the opportunity to:
· Working from a trauma informed framework, lead and inspire youth in a positive, supportive safe environment
· Using a client centered framework, support youth on skills development, security risks, personal crisis, counseling, etc. and recommend referrals when appropriate
· Maintain positive and open communication with the staff team
· Support the residents care planning that involves the development and actualization of a plan to successfully transition to longer term housing
· When able, attend regular team meetings to discuss the youth's care plans
· Complete documentation of shift activities and incidents in appropriate logs and client records
· Responsible for entering client data for monthly, quarterly and annual funding reports
· Administrative tasks as required
· Conduct security and maintenance checks regularly on shift
· Responsible for upkeep and reporting deficiencies to management
· Responsible for responding to calls from youth and/or community members who are after care clients in need of support (I.e.) Outreach, etc.
· Performs daily cleaning of high traffic areas including kitchen, bathrooms, common areas, hallways and offices
· Weekly clean-out of refrigerators/ freezers and food storage in preparation for food delivery
· Daily organization, maintenance and cleaning of food storage areas as needed
· Change all garbage/waste bin, replenish soap dispensers/ cleaning products and restock toilet paper/ hand towels, etc.
· Prepare and cook meals for next day, based on menu’s schedule
· Uphold the expectations of food handlers and nutritional requirements for food preparation
· Oversee the household laundry
· Other duties as assigned
· Child and Youth Worker Diploma or equivalent
· 2 years’ experience working with youth and knowledge of homelessness, mental health, addictions and poverty issues
· Valid First Aid, CPI/UMAB Certifications
· WHMIS and Food Handling Certification recommended
· Knowledge of housing first for youth, trauma informed care, and harm reduction practices an asset
· Knowledge of resources within the Region of Peel, specifically for youth
· Effective problem solving, conflict resolution and crisis intervention skills
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills
How to Apply:
If you are a compassionate, highly motivated and results-oriented individual, with a passion to
support youth, please submit your cover letter and resume by clicking ‘apply now’. We thank all applicants for their interest in Our Place Peel. Only qualified candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
Our Place Peel is an equal opportunity employer. Accommodations for disabilities will be provided to support participation in all aspects of the recruitment process upon request.
We are dedicated to providing an atmosphere free from barriers in order to promote equity, inclusivity and diversity. We celebrate and welcome the diversity of all employees!
This job description is general in nature and is not designed to contain or to be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to the job.
Application Deadline: January 31st, 2020
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
Salary: $40,933.00 /year