Status: Contract (up to 36 months)
Working Conditions: On-Site
Education Level: Bachelor’s Degree in Applied Science and/or safety-related field is required
Location: Tiverton, ON
Deadline to Apply: 11:59 PM E.S.T., April 4th, 2023
BE THE GENERATION to help build a brighter tomorrow.
OPG continues to set the bar for environmental protection, community involvement and economic impact—all while safely keeping the lights on.
Now we’ve set our sights on being a net-zero carbon company by 2040 and a catalyst to help the economies where we operate achieve net-zero by 2050.
OPG operates a diverse portfolio of generation assets including nuclear, hydroelectric, biomass and solar. We are also a cleantech leader and innovator, offering challenging and unique work opportunities. Help us use our power to change the world.
Ontario Power Generation (OPG) is looking for a dynamic, strategic and results-driven professional to join our team in the role of Assistant Health & Safety Advisor.
Please Note: This is a fully on-site role lovated in Tiverton, ON. The successful candidate must already reside in or be willing to relocate to Tiverton.
Reporting to the Manager, Health & Safety, this position is responsible for providing technical assistance to station staff on safety related issues taking place in a construction / industrial environment. The successful candidate will consult with both internal and external contacts, conduct observation & coaching, and assist in workplace investigations.
Key accountabilities include reviewing, recommending changes to, or on occasion conduct workplace assessments to ensure that safe work practices are employed to minimize hazardous exposures while ensuring that OPG staff and contractors are in compliance with current legislative, business unit, and station safety requirements.
This is an exciting opportunity to work in an environment where you will contribute to OPG’s public outreach, engagement and education efforts as part of the company’s commitment to growing its social license.
- Ensure that OPG staff and contractors are in compliance with current legislative, corporate, business unit and station safety requirements;
- Support line work groups by means of attending crew per-job briefings, observation and coaching and paired observation and coaching walkdowns, as well as providing support in the creation and review of safe work planning process (70%)
- Support Nuclear Sustainability Services (NSS) Growth and Renewal Action Plan; this will be achieved through supporting line management and workers with interpretation and implementation of existing Conventional Health and Safety Governance (this role will directly support the renewal of the Conventional Safety Culture as well as helping to improve Supervisory Effectiveness);
- Leverage internal relationships to effectively determine and implement program changes or actions to resolve health and safety concerns;
- Review, recommend changes to, or on occasion conduct workplace assessments to ensure that safe work practices are employed to minimize hazardous exposures;
- Prepare detailed reports on safety performance for line management; perform safety analyses on, and review the design of new equipment or processes and make recommendations for improvements;
- Lead and participate in incident/accident investigations, including development of practical recommendations and reports;
- Monitor for hazardous materials and advise on safe handling of materials using sound industrial hygiene practices;
- Provide station staff safety subject matter expertise; and
- Develop and deliver presentations as required.
- 4-year university degree in Applied Science and or safety-related field
- Course or training with certification in OHS is an asset;
- CRSP or CSP designation is an asset.
- Minimum of 2-years overall hands-on experience in Safety and/or Sciences industry; preferably in a construction / industrial environment.
- Demonstrated understanding of, and experience with, workplace hazards and the practical application of rules and procedures and workplace monitoring;
- Previous experience in a Nuclear environment is an asset;
- Experienced and thoroughly knowledgeable with Ontario Industrial and Construction regulations
- Prior experience in conducting incident/accident investigations including applying practical knowledge of applicable legislation and safety procedures
- Demonstrated experience providing consultant/specialist services and problem-solving to management clients;
- Prior experience working in heavy industrial construction;
- Experience in electrical safety, a valuable asset;
- Applied knowledge of the following:
- hazardous materials
- safe work planning and execution
- working at heights
- electrical safety
- industrial hygiene
- 18001 OH&S Management System
- Strong team player with the ability to work independently;
- Strong communication and presentation skills;
The successful candidate will exhibit uncompromising integrity and commitment to upholding corporate values, and the OPG Code of Business Conduct.
As Ontario’s largest clean energy generator, OPG offers an exciting combination of challenging opportunities and career diversity in a fast-paced work environment. Being an OPG employee means you can apply your knowledge, broaden your skills and make a valuable contribution to an organization that is vital to the province’s wellbeing.
At OPG, our values are our strengths. They are fundamental truths about our organization that don’t change. Safety. Integrity. Excellence. People and Citizenship.
Here's why OPG might just be the ideal workplace for you:
- Exceptional range of opportunities province-wide
- Long-term career growth and development opportunities
- Electricity is vital to the province and OPG’s clean electricity is helping decarbonize other sectors.
Our promise to you:
- We care about the safety and the well-being of our employees. It is our utmost priority.
- A supportive work environment where you can be your best every day.
- Opportunities to stretch and develop.
- Offer different ways for you to give back to communities where we operate.
- Partner with Indigenous communities and support local businesses.
- We support employment equity, diversity and inclusion.
If you are looking to learn from others and be part of something important, and you are excited about the future of power generation, you will find the right fit at OPG.
Please submit your application online at https://jobs.opg.com/ by 11:59 PM E.S.T., April 4th, 2023. OPG thanks all those who apply; however, only candidates considered for an interview will be contacted.
OPG is committed to fostering an inclusive, equitable, and accessible environment where all employees feel valued, respected, and supported. If you require accommodation during the application or interview process, please advise us as soon as possible so appropriate arrangements can be made.
If you require information in a format that is accessible to you, please contact [email protected]