At Showbie, we’re building tools to help teachers transform their classrooms by delivering faster, more engaging, and more impactful feedback and assessment to their students. Our apps, Showbie and Socrative, are used by millions of teachers and students in classrooms worldwide.
The care and attention we put into design is a big part of why teachers fall in love with our products. Now that we have two product lines and an expanding product and development team, we’re looking for an exceptional product designer to help us level up our design practice and become a key player in our future growth.
- Work with product managers to cultivate a deep understanding of, and empathy for, our customers and users through user research, surveys, user testing, and data analysis.
- Solve design problems by translating insights and priorities from product management and customer research into new features and product improvements that solve customer problems and add value to our products.
- Test, validate, and iterate your solutions throughout the design process using a variety of user testing techniques and artifacts such as sketches and diagrams, low-fidelity prototypes, high-fidelity mockups, and polished interactive prototypes.
- Work closely with software developers as you build, iterate, and ship product improvements.
- Oversee the UI/visual design of our apps and help us move towards a unified design system and product experience across our product line, while always striving to elevate the quality of our design and the experience we offer to teachers and students.
- You have experience designing software products and services.
- You have experience with user research, user testing, and user-centred design and user experience practices in general.
- You have great taste and an eye for detail. You design highly polished UI mockups using tools like Sketch.
- You can quickly create interactive prototypes at various levels of fidelity using tools like Framer or with HTML/JS/CSS.
- You have a strong understanding of the medium: HTML/CSS/JS, mobile-first and responsive web applications, native mobile apps (especially iOS), and topics like internationalization and accessibility.
- You have strong written and verbal communication skills, allowing you to communicate design intent/rationale to software developers, product managers, and other internal stakeholders. You’ve got a good sense for copywriting, so you can write microcopy for our app UI or help explain the benefits of product improvements to our customers.
- You’re confident working independently and can proactively implement and iterate on internal design processes and best-practices.
- You’re passionate about good design and love to share design knowledge with your teammates, designers and non-designers alike.
The successful candidate will have at least 4 years of design experience and a degree or diploma in a related field. Your portfolio should show evidence of your entire creative process, from ideation, prototyping and iteration through to polished design and shipped product.
What You Can Expect From Us
The autonomy to make decisions and execute on them.
Flexible company culture. When we're at work we're excited and focused on building a great product. We also know that going home at 5 and not working weekends or Christmas makes us even more excited to come to work and do great things.
Transparency. You will always be kept up to date on the company strategy through monthly town halls.
Relaxed comfy office that includes weekly SPUD deliveries, a kick-ass espresso machine, a pingpong table, and lots of board games.
Central downtown location (close to great restaurants, cafes and public transit).
Friday afternoon socials, monthly team events, and awesome Christmas parties.
You'll be decked in new Apple gear to help you do your job.
Extended health benefits (including things like massages and physiotherapy).
Three weeks of vacation plus a week of flex time and time off at Christmas.
Check out our Work at Showbie page to learn a little bit about our company culture and the benefits we offer to our team.