Job Title :
Payroll Processing Accounting Clerk
Reference Number :
Permanent - Full time
Job Category :
Finance and Accounting
Annual Salary / Hourly Rate :
Number of positions to be filled :
Application Deadline :
Via Rail is seeking for 1 Payroll Processing Accounting Clerk (unionized) for a permanent position.
- Prepare and calculate payroll for employees according to collective agreement standards or HR policies.
- Reconcile bi-weekly payroll data and correct any discrepancies.
- Verify the accuracy and approve all payroll input in accordance with policies.
- Process source deduction remittances
- Process payroll revision and termination calculations
- Prepare miscellaneous reports (i.e. UIC, etc...).
- Reconcile, analyze and make any necessary corrections to general ledgers and/or sub accounts
- Actively participate in month and year end activities
- Provide support in the training of payroll colleagues
- Provide support to teams and various internal services with regards to payroll accounting inquiries.
- Verify, communicate and ensure follow ups with external clients.
- Participate in projects and in new requirements analysis in collaboration with the payroll supervisor and accounting operations analysts.
- Other duties as required.
QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED :
- Diplomas of College Studies (D.C.S.) in finance or equivalent, Diploma of Vocational Studies (D.V.S.), Attestation of College Studies (A.C.S.) in accounting/payroll or human resources/payroll
- Functional bilingualism
- 5 years experience in a payroll department
- Aptitude for working with transactional software
- Strong ability in interpreting collective agreements
- PCP certification from CPA an important asset
- Proficient knowledge of Word and Excel
- Knowledge of payroll system VIP an asset.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office and Outlook.
- Skilled in providing operational support
- Ability to work with tight, precise deadlines
- Ability to work with numerous procedural exceptions and use proper judgement
- Ability to communicate orally and written with internal and external clients
VIA Rail thanks all applicants for their interest, however only those selected for an interview will be contacted. VIA Rail is an employment-equity employer and encourages all qualified candidates to apply. VIA Rail Canada is proud to be a military friendly employer.