SannTekis a vibrant startup currently based out of the Velocity Garage in downtown Kitchener. Sharing space with Communitech in The Tannery building allows for a fun, lively workplace atmosphere where you are constantly surrounded by brilliant innovators and experienced mentors.
At SannTek, our mission is to harness the power of nanotechnology to prevent life-threatening accidents by detecting inappropriate drug-use, instantly.
For our first product to market, we are developing a breathalyzer for cannabis to provide police with an effective test to keep drug-impaired drivers off the road. We are looking for two hard-working scientists who share our love for cutting-edge technology to fill a junior role in our sensor development team.
Note: You will need to be able to commute or move to Kitchener/Waterloo.
About Your Role:
You will be working with the SannTek sensor development team to help develop the electrochemical immunosensor behind the breathalyzer for cannabis. You will be working under the direction of more senior scientists to perform the following tasks:
- Perform general lab duties: You will need to perform general lab duties such as preparing reagents, inventory tracking and management.
- Design and conduct experiments: Perform quality control methods for the evaluation of manufactured kits, reagents and raw materials. Work with the broader Assay Development team to maximize assay performance across all functional assay elements including but not limited to: assay characterization, assay troubleshooting, assay optimization and validation. You will also be required to conduct a variety of experiments including analyzing breath samples using LC-MS, immobilization techniques, and generating SOPS.
- Collect and analyze data: You will need to analyze sensors, reagent stability, and environmental condition data using Excel and other software packages.
- Generate and maintain records: You will need to keep a clean workbook, complete SOPs, and manage inventory.
- Perform the unexpected: It’s a start up and problems always arise. Prepare to be nimble and help outside of your comfort zone!
What skills we are looking for:
- Bachelor’s degree in a scientific discipline or equivalent.
- Basic knowledge of Microsoft Excel and Word.
- Basic assay development laboratory skills (pipetting, materials handling, contamination control).
What skills would be an asset:
- Experience developing LC-MS methods or running samples using LC-MS.
- Experience working with electrochemical assays.
- Experience working with antibodies.
And the good stuff, here’s what you’ll get out of this:
- A competitive salary and substantial equity in a promising startup.
- A really awesome Google-esque workplace. For starters, you get access to an arcade room, a gym, a basketball court, employee discounts and treat days every Thursday.
- The chance to work on THE cannabis breathalyzer, which will eventually save lives (basically you’re saving lives).
Job Type: Full-time