Dixon Hall Neighbourhood Services is multi-service agency located in the heart of east downtown Toronto. For 87 years, we have been touching the lives of thousands of our community’s most vulnerable residents by providing a range of programs and services across every stage of life.
Dixon Hall’s Housing Services Department has been providing shelter services for the homeless and vulnerably housed in the City of Toronto for more than two decades. We respond to the immediate housing needs of those who require our services and we also work with individuals to assist them in improving their overall quality of life.
Dixon Hall Neighbourhood Services is currently welcome applications for the position of Relief Shelter Worker.
- As part of a team, be responsible for the day to day operation of the facility.
- Work collaboratively with the shelter and housing team, other Dixon Hall staff, departments and volunteers.
- Directly responsible for the care of the residents on a day to day basis.
- Ensure a safe and responsible environment and encourage residents’ input.
- Able to properly complete intakes/discharges.
- Ensure adherence to the organization’s mission, vision, policies and practice
- Adhere to Toronto Shelter Standards, Municipal Fire safety, Board of Health guidelines and Hostel guidelines in the operation of the progra
- Implement the shelter policies and procedures and residency agreements in a spirit of fairness, and respect.
- Support and act as a resource for residents in attaining their goals, advocacy, researching and making appropriate referrals.
- Use intervention and mediation skills to defuse potential conf
- Community Worker or Social Services Worker Diploma.
- Minimum 2 years relevant experience in providing support to homeless and /or marginally housed, and mental health, addiction or abuse issues.
- Valid certificates in Standard First Aid and CPR, Hostel Standards, CPI, Case Management, Anti-racism/Anti-oppression, Documentation (Note Taking) Skills, WHMIS.
- Able to complete a satisfactory Vulnerable Sector Criminal Records Check.
- Crisis Management, conflict resolution and prevention, and harm reduction skills required.
- Demonstrated awareness and knowledge of issues impacting homeless individuals.
- Understanding and appreciation for issues of inclusion and diversity.
- Demonstrated commitment to principles of anti-racism, anti-sexism and to challenging other forms of oppres
- Demonstrated experience working within a diverse ethno-racial, multi-lingual, adult community settin
- Strong written and verbal English language communication skills; knowledge of other languages will be considered an asset.
- Computer literate.
- Related training, experience and/or knowledge of working with disadvantaged, homeless or marginally housed and of emergency and social service
Dixon Hall Neighbourhood Services is committed to developing an inclusive selection process and work environment. If contacted for an interview, please advise the hiring manager if you require any accommodation during the interview process. The hiring process is governed by Dixon Hall Neighbourhood Services Race Relations and Employment Equity Policies.
Job Type: Casual
Salary: $22.09 /hour
- working with homeless and/or marginally housed people: 2 years (Required)
- First Aid (Required)
- Crisis Prevention Intervention (Required)
- CPR (Required)