Interested in joining our team at The Overlander Mountain Lodge & Jasper East Cabins? As we do receive a volume of applications, and in order to ensure a good fit, we'd like to take a few minutes of your time to tell you more about our operations and ourselves. From there, you may decide whether you'd like to move forward.
Who: We are the Griffiths' family, and we have a passion for this property, its setting and, especially, the people who choose to spend their vacation time with us. Although we have a excellent management team, who care for the property as though it were their own, we have owned and operated the Overlander for 27 years, during which time it has become known as one of the top lodges for fine dining and quality accommodation in the Hinton/Jasper area.
Where: We are located 15 minutes west of the town of Hinton, and 35 minutes east of the town of Jasper. We're just outside the East Gates of the National Park, overlooking one of the most scenic vistas the Rockies has to offer.
Both guests and staff come to the area because of Jasper National Park and the exhilaration of either visiting or living in the mountains. They come for the fresh, clean air and rivers, the breathtaking views, the hiking, fishing, paddling, climbing and mountain biking. In the winter, they enjoy snow-showing and both downhill and cross-country skiing.
What: A fifty seat dining room is the centerpiece of Overlander's 40 hotel rooms and chalets, along with a second neighbourhood of chalets nearby, which are rented year round. The property is surrounded on all sides by mountains and forests, and crisscrossed by hiking trails. Overlander is a mountain getaway, serving mostly families and couples, who come to us for the peace and the quiet.
When: A typical year at the Overlander follows the four seasons. Naturally, the staff at a holiday lodge, as in the hospitality industry everywhere, work while others are on holidays. While we are open year-round, the summer high season runs from June through September, and is our busiest time, when we are most in service to both Canadian and International tourists. In the summer, we have a full staff of both seasonal and permanent employees, and we must ask that none of our staff take holidays. We do our best to give everyone two days off in a row each week. In the summer, however, these days cannot be guaranteed. Flexibility and down time come in the shoulder seasons.
Why: We offer some of the finest onsite staff accommodation in the area. Newly built, and thoughtfully designed for comfort and convenience, each self-contained bedroom until is fully furnished, has a private washroom with shower, and access to satellite TV and internet. There is a bright, open common area for cooking and socializing, and balconies for enjoying the immediate outdoors. The common area is non smoking & dry, while alcohol is permitted in staff rooms. Drunkenness in the common areas is not permitted.
In addition, a second staff accommodations building is currently being completed. Built with the environment in mind, the structure has been created from sea can shipping containers, and will be reserved for quiet, health-focused employees. Residents will be non-smokers, and smoking will not be permitted either inside or out. Meanwhile, features include low emf, a grounding plug installed by each bed, no alcohol in common areas and a shared yoga practice space, pending approval from the general manager.
With the Folding Mountains Trail right outside your door and for your enjoyment, please keep in mind that accommodations are located adjacent to guest chalets. And because our guests come to us for quiet mountain escapes, successful applicants, particularly those who require housing, will be those who seek the same. We, therefore, look for team members who are respectful both of guests and of other staff residents. For a more social atmosphere better suited to partying and drinking, we suggest seeking employment in the town of Jasper. The Overlander simply would not be the right fit for you.
How: The Overlander would not have built the reputation it has today if not for truly excellent staff, past and present. Members of our team have a strong work ethics, a positive attitude and are committed to providing memorable experiences for every single guest. To that end, it is important that staff members are cheerful, friendly and professional.
If you believe this describes you, and you believe you would enjoy your time here and thrive, I welcome you to apply to continue with the hiring process. If after reading this, you've determined we wouldn't be a good fit for you, then I wish you the best in your search and hope you might choose to stay with us in the future. We look forward to hearing from you.
· Welcome guests walking in the door
· Register guests
· Assign room keys
· Provide information about the lodge, the services, and activities available in the area
· Verify credit, and establish how the guest will pay for the accommodation
· Promote and sell guest rooms/ packages/ gift certificates
· At check out, review accounts with guests, explain charges, and take payment for accounts.
· Balance cash out
· Advise/ communicate with housekeeping
· Assist dining room by acting as host, seating guests, answering inquiries about the menu, hanging guests’ jackets in the front entrance
· Keep an accurate inventory of room reservations
· Respond to reservation inquiries
· Answer telephone, direct calls appropriately and/ or take messages
· Read incoming emails, sorting through which to reply to (reservations) and which to print off or forward for other people.
· Deal with customer complaints or refer dissatisfied customers to management
· Sell merchandise
· Take dinner reservations/ communicate with dining room supervisor when seating plan is filling up
· Keep front desk stocked with brochures, pamphlets etc
· Keep front desk neat and tidy
· Build a fire in the evening, and ensure it is burning nicely for the guests to enjoy.
· Retrieve any things guests may need from supplies downstairs. Ex: blankets, pillows, towels, soap, etc.
· Assist guests with their gas fire place.
· Other duties as assigned by management.
Job Type: Full-time
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $15.00 per hour