Come join our team! If you are looking for a career that is both challenging and rewarding, with an organization that values diversity, equity and a shared sense of purpose, look no further.
The Law Society of BC offers work/life balance, a collegial atmosphere, and an excellent benefits package, including: extended health benefits, a dental plan, a generous health care spending account, and more.
Our Finance Department is seeking a permanent full-time Junior Accountant. The Junior Accountant is responsible for the preparation of assigned account reconciliations and related journal entries on a monthly basis, and the compilation of corresponding month end working papers for the Law Society funds. This position will also ensure the Accounts Payable functions are carried out accurately and in a timely manner as well as providing backup and support when required and provide assistance to Accounts Receivable during bi-annual fee billing and when needed.
The duties of this position include:
· Reconcile assigned balance sheet accounts on monthly basis, including the creation and posting of journal entries as necessary in addition to the compilation of the monthly supporting working papers.
· Responsible for ensuring payables are accurately coded, approved and processed, cheque runs and EFT payment batches are done on a weekly / biweekly basis, and any issues with vendors are resolved in a timely manner.
· Provide guidance and backup to the Accounts Payable Clerk.
· Review invoices for proper authorization and coding and AP batches for accuracy before posting.
· Enter invoices into the accounting system.
· Print cheques, and other forms of payment, and circulate for signature to the appropriate signatories.
· Prepare EFT payment batches.
· Prepare foreign currency payments including the related calculations and posting of foreign exchange adjustments.
· Prepare and remit payments for fees collected on behalf of external agencies.
· Prepare Translink, GST and PST remittances.
· Prepare annual Bencher Expense Analysis.
· Prepare annual Provincial Law Societies Fee Analysis.
· Administrate and reconcile the Corporate MasterCard program.
· Assist with the annual external audit where required.
· Assist with the collection of member fees bi-annually which entails managing and processing a large volume of payments in addition to liaising with Member Services to resolve membership payment inquiries and related issues.
· Provide back-up for administration of payroll and related programs such as Retirement Savings Plan and Reconciliation of payroll-related accounts.
· Such other duties as the Director and Finance Manager may require including ad hoc tasks, projects and analysis.
· Three to five years of related practical experience in an accounting environment.
· Knowledge of accounting principles, accounting, software (systems) packages and MS Office (Excel, Outlook and Word).
· Attention to detail.
· Ability to work independently, and a willingness to learn and be flexible by taking on a wide variety of tasks.
· Previous payroll experience is preferred.
To apply, please visit our website at https://www.lawsociety.bc.ca/about-us/careers-at-the-law-society/job-postings/. The closing date for this competition is May 18, 2021. We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
This position is located at the Law Society of British Columbia office in the Yaletown area of Vancouver, BC.
845 Cambie Street
Vancouver, British Columbia
Application deadline: 2021-05-18
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
Salary: From $59,361.00 per year