Job Summary :
The Community Mental Health Worker will provide community based case management for people who have serious, long-standing, mental health difficulties. Community Mental Health Workers may work with targeted client populations, based on the employee’s skills and experience. Caseloads are determined based on client group and funder expectations.
- Permanent and Contract positions available
- Permanent Full Time positions eligible for pension, benefits, paid sick and vacation
- Contracts receive an additional 10 percent in lieu
- Advocate on clients’ behalf.
- Complete a comprehensive client assessment, and service plans in cooperation with community partners.
- Complete a risk assessment and environmental screen on intake.
- Refer and coordinate required medical, clinical or other community services, including housing, food, clothing, recreational activities, educational and vocational opportunities, and other relevant services.
- Attend appointments with clients as needed.
- Assist clients to develop natural resources and to make contact with social support networks.
- Encourage the client in problem solving and conflict resolution, goal setting, medication management and other life skills as appropriate. Provide direct “hands on” life skills training as needed, i.e., assistance grocery shopping, accessing public transportation.
- Provide the client with information and education about mental health, the mental health system and the Mental Health Act.
- Represent the agency through community outreach and everyday interactions with other community resources, i.e., hospitals, hostels.
- Diploma or degree from an accredited College or University in the Human Services field.
- Five years related experience in a human services field.
- Valid driver’s license and access to an insured personal vehicle. Must provide proof of adequate insurance coverage on request.
- An up-to-date first aid certificate.
- A satisfactory Vulnerable Sector Screening (Police Check)
Durham Mental Health Services is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes and work environments. Please advise Human Resources of any accommodations needed to ensure your access to a fair and equitable process. Any information received relating to accommodation will be addressed confidentially.
Job Types: Full-time, Contract, Permanent
Salary: $26.66 /hour
- case management: 1 year (Preferred)
- front-line mental health: 5 years (Required)