Emergency Rescue Technician
EHS Canada Inc. provides Industrial Emergency Response, which includes emergency medical services at construction sites and community events, technical rope, marine and confined space standby rescue services, occupational health & safety training and emergency response planning.
EHS Canada Inc. is currently seeking ERTs - Emergency Rescue Technicians– (approx. 10 positions available) for various project locations in the GTHA and Niagara region corridors.
Applicants must have part-time weekday availability (Monday to Friday) and be able to start the mandatory multi-day recruit training as early as June 20, 2019.
Reporting to the site Project Manager, all technicians are primarily accountable for planning and providing technical rescue standby and or medical response to clients of EHS Canada Inc.
Job Scope may encompass any/all of the following functions:
- Rescue Support
- High Angle Rescue
- Working at Heights / Fall Protection
- Confined Space Rescue
- Confined Space Attendant & Air Monitoring
- First Aid / Medical Response
Duties / Responsibilities:
- Coordinate rescue personnel and equipment
- Communicate with clients, contractors, team members and supervisory personnel on a daily basis; Participate in safety / toolbox meetings and daily job briefings
- Draft and/or review confined space rescue and rescue safety analysis preplans
- Based on risk/hazard assessment(s), strategize, plan and implement and monitor site rescue plans, including emergency contingency plans
- Remain abreast of job conditions and equipment resources; report observed changes/needs and recommend adjustments to supervisory personnel
- Evaluate and update rescue plans daily to reflect changes in work conditions
- Prepare and ensure on-going operational functionality and readiness of rescue equipment; Maintain an accurate inventory and proper documents for all rescue related equipment
- Monitor breathing air cylinders and replenish breathing air as necessary
- Operate rope rescue equipment as required; Regularly review emergency rescue anchor points
- In the event of an incident, locate patient(s), assess injuries and render first aid and CPR to level of training. Package for extrication, remove patient(s) from the threatening environment and turn over to EMS for medical attention and transport.
- Ensure all pertinent paperwork is completed in a neat, accurate and timely manner.
- Perform all other duties as assigned
Skills & Abilities:
- Ability to read, write and communicate clearly in English
- Physically fit; able to perform all emergency response duties
- Good vision and auditory capabilities
- Able to adapt to and manage difficult and stressful situations
- Leadership, critical thinking and excellent interpersonal skills
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively
- Able to provide or take direction as required
Qualifications & Experience:
- Graduate of a Pre-Service Fire or Paramedic Program
- Minimum Standard First Aid w/CPR Level C
- NFPA 1670/1006, IRATA and or SPRAT certification
- AEMCA certification
- Minimum valid Standard First Aid certification
- Confined Space Rescue / High Angle Rescue / Fall Protection Rescue
- Rescue Planning, Equipment Selection & Inspection
- SCBA Training and Respirator Fit Test
- Air Monitoring / Gas Testing Procedures
- MOL Approved Working at Heights Training
- Worker Awareness Training – Ontario Ministry of Labour
- WHMIS 2015
To be considered for this role, applicants must meet the following additional criteria:
- Minimum 18 years of age
- Authorized to work in Canada and possess a valid SIN
- Hold a valid Class G Driver’s License and have a reliable vehicle for transportation to various project sites located within the GTHA / Niagara regions.
- Be able to produce a clean or satisfactory Driver’s Abstract
- Have the ability to pass pre-employment Drug & Alcohol testing
This job description is of a general nature and is not exhaustive in its listing of essential job function(s) and detail(s). It is not intended as an employment contract. Employees are expected to perform all assigned tasks as directed by supervisory personnel, irrespective of job title or routine job duties.
We thank all candidates for their interest, however, only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
Job Type: Casual Part Time
Salary: Reflective of experience, completed training and certifications.
Job Types: Part-time, Casual