Come join our team! If you are looking for a career that is both challenging and rewarding, with an organization that embraces the core values of integrity and excellence, look no further.
The Law Society of BC offers work/life balance, a collegial atmosphere, and an excellent benefits package, including: extended health benefits, a dental plan, a generous health care spending account, and more.
Our Finance Department is seeking a full-time Intermediate Accountant. The Intermediate Accountant is responsible for the preparation of account reconciliations and journal entries on a monthly basis, and the compilation of month end working papers for the Law Society funds and the LSBC Captive Company Ltd. This position will also provide assistance with the annual audit and the annual operating budgets. Additionally, this position could include a number of ad hoc assignments.
The duties of this position include:
- Reconcile assigned balance sheet accounts on monthly basis, including the creation and posting of journal entries as necessary in addition to the compilation of the monthly financial working papers
- Calculating and posting various recurring monthly journal entries, including those relating to investment transactions, calculation of building depreciation and accruals
- Responsible for the reconciliation of the bank general ledgers on a daily basis, including working with the A/R Clerk to review deposits and investigate discrepancies between amounts paid and outstanding balances
- Liaise with property management company staff to ensure accounting relating to building operations is complete and accurate, including responsibility for communicating and coordinating related month end entries as well as completion of the reconciliation to property management financial statements
- Assist with the creation and maintenance of reports in the financial reporting module (Management Reporter and Vena)
- Assist with the preparation and analysis of the annual operating and capital budgets where required
- Assist with the preparation and analysis of the monthly and annual financial statements where required
- Assist with the annual external audit where required
- Assist with the collection of member fees bi-annually (Annual fee billing and 2nd instalment)
- Act as back up to the Accounts Receivable functions as needed, which include A/R reconciliations, follow up with departments on outstanding member amounts and payments, review of accuracy of A/R and recommend allowances for doubtful accounts
- Act as a back up to the daily A/P as needed
- Such other duties as the Deputy Finance Director, Assistant Controller or Senior Accountant may require including ad hoc tasks, projects and analyses
- Completion of a professional accounting designation or near completion of the CPA Pre-requisites (CPA PREP) and eligible to be registered into the CPA Professional Education Program (CPA PEP).
- Three to five years of related practical experience in an accounting environment. Knowledge of accounting principles, accounting, software (systems) packages and MS Office (Excel, Outlook and Word).
- Other qualities include ability to work independently, attention to detail, a willingness to learn and be flexible by taking on a wide variety of tasks.
To apply, please visit our website at https://www.lawsociety.bc.ca/about-us/careers-at-the-law-society/job-postings/. The closing date for this competition is November 8, 2019. We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
This position is located at the Law Society of British Columbia office in the Yaletown area of Vancouver, BC.
845 Cambie Street
Vancouver, British Columbia
Job Type: Full-time