The Second Line Cook is responsible for assisting with day to day operations of the kitchen including, but not limited to, maintaining a clean kitchen work area and assisting in cooking and food preparation for restaurants, catering and events, and food carving/buffet stations. The role requires knowledge of food safety and sanitations standards and protocols.
Functions (Purpose and Responsibilities)
- Daily cooking and preparation of food to various areas such as restaurants, catering and events, and food carving/buffet stations;
- Prepare hot plates, cold plates, soups, salads, sauces sandwiches, and other items for distribution around the Saddledome;
- Ensure proper storage, handling, and use of food inventories;
- Maintain a high standard of safety and sanitation as governed by standards and protocols;
- Communicate with kitchen staff, cooks, sous chefs, and the executive chef;
- Actively participate in safety programs and follow polices;
- Follow instructions as directed by supervisors, sous chefs, and the executive chef;
- Attend carving stations on buffets and/or private functions;
- Assist in all areas of the kitchen as required;
- All other duties as assigned.
The ideal candidate will have the following background:
- 3+ years restaurant or hotel cook experience;
- Formal culinary training is considered an asset;
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills;
- Ability to follow instructions and learn quickly;
- Positive attitude and a strong attention to detail;
- Ability to handle multiple tasks at once and prioritize effectively.
- High school diploma is considered an asset.
Key Relationships (External only)
- Occasional interaction with guests/customers
- Constant low level, waist level and above shoulder lifting;
- Occasional front and side carrying;
- Frequent pushing and pulling;
- Frequent repetitive movements;
- Rare sitting;
- Frequent standing, walking and stair climbing;
- Occasional hand and gripping actions;
- Occasional crouching, kneeling and reaching.
FREQUENCY OF WORKDAY
0% of shift Rare
1–5% of shift Occasional
6–33% of shift Frequent
34–66% of shift Constant
67–100% of shift
Working Conditions & Hazards
- Exposed to non-weather related cold temperatures;
- In areas with low levels of CO exposure;
- Wet and slippery floor;
- Extreme hot surfaces;
- Pinch points and tight working spaces throughout building;
- Working with kitchen equipment;
- Exposed to high noise levels.
Must be available to work the duration of Grey Cup & Grey Cup Festivities November.18th -24th