Are you interested in an opportunity to impact the safety and soundness of Alberta's insurance entities, and gain a unique insight into the Insurance Industry in Alberta?
If your answer is YES, then we have an opportunity for you!
Reporting to the Senior Manager, Prudential Supervision, this position is responsible for conducting the regulatory and supervisory activities necessary to ensure the operational safety and soundness of the regulated insurance entities, which include insurance companies incorporated in Alberta; reciprocal insurance exchanges formed in, or transferred to Alberta; and others.
In this position, you will be working closely with Alberta's regulated insurance entities, providing guidance and information, conducting examinations, reviewing new license or change applications for licensing or incorporation in Alberta, and issuing assessments levied to roughly 250 insurance entities operating in Alberta.
The Advisor, Prudential Supervision will be involved in activities related to the supervision of solvency, governance and risk management practices of insurance entities for which Alberta is their primary regulator. The Advisor, Prudential Supervision will review and assess industry trends, risks, and changes, and will be involved in developing alternatives and recommendations to ensure Alberta supervisory objectives continue to be met.
A university degree in a related field and at least 4 years of related experience is required. A recognized accounting, analytical, or insurance designation would be considered an asset. An equivalent combination of education and experience will be considered.
Competencies are behaviours that are essential to reach our goals in serving Albertans, and the foundation for our talent management programs, including hiring decisions. We encourage you to have an in depth understanding of the competencies that are required for this opportunity and to be prepared to demonstrate them during the recruitment process. The links below will assist you with understanding competencies:
In this role, you will contribute to our team by demonstrating the following behavioural competencies:
Building Collaborative Relationships:
- You will maintain open communication with regulated entities and our team to ensure proactive supervision.
- You will increase your knowledge of prudential supervision by participating on conference calls, representing Alberta with regulators across Canada as required.
Drive for Results:
- You will have a demonstrated ability to anticipate, assess, and readily adapt to changing priorities, in working with our regulated entities.
- You will utilize your problem solving and interpretation skills to monitor, analyse and evaluate complex and technical financial information.
- You will seek to execute the branch's prudential supervision audit plan, while maximizing available resources to achieve those results.
- You possess the ability to manage a large volume of work while ensuring care and attention to
the recommended course of action.
Build Collaborative Environments:
- You will work with our team to provide support and develop the tools required to enable our regulated entities to meet or exceed our regulatory expectations.
Creative Problem Solving:
- You will anticipate outcomes and potential impacts across interrelated legislation, entities and risks.
- You will understand how changes in the insurance market place can affect the regulated entities and recommend adjustments to our supervision to account for these changes.
- You will engage the team to identify risks and recommendations to ensure we have a thorough understanding of the risks and their impacts to solvency, risk management and governance.
$2,803.40 to $3,674.86 bi-weekly ($73,168.74 to $95,913.85 annually)
The Alberta Public Service is a great place to work.
- Comprehensive benefits plan: http://www.chr.alberta.ca/employees/DocList122.cfm
- Pension plan: http://www.pspp.ca/
- Professional learning and development
- Positive workplace culture and work-life balance
Final Candidates for this position will be asked to undergo a security screening. This competition may be used to fill current and future vacancies at equal or lesser classifications across the Government of Alberta.
How to Apply
Online applications are preferred. Applicants are advised to provide information that clearly and concisely demonstrates how their qualifications meet the advertised requirements, including education, experience and relevant examples of required competencies.
As only one file can be uploaded, please ensure your cover letter, resume and any other related documents are submitted in one file. Please ensure that this document is saved using the naming convention of your last then first name (Smith,Joe_Resume). Applicants who apply online will be able to track the status of this competition. If you are unable to apply online, please submit your cover letter and resume, quoting the Job ID, to: Human Resource Services, Treasury Board and Finance, 302 Terrace Building, 9515 - 107 Street, Edmonton, AB, T5K 2C3. Phone: (780) 427-3070; Fax: (780) 422-0421.
It is recommended that applicants who have obtained educational credentials from outside of Canada and have not had them previously assessed, obtain an evaluation of their credentials from the International Qualifications Assessment Service (IQAS) -https://www.alberta.ca/international-qualifications-assessment.aspx It is recommended that applicants include the assessment certificate from IQAS or any other educational assessment service as part of their application.
We thank all applicants for their interest. All applications will be reviewed to determine which candidates' education and experience best meets the needs of the position. Only individuals selected for interviews will be contacted, via email.
If you require any further information on this job posting, please contact: Maria Drueco, Talent Acquisition Consultant. Phone: ((780) 638 1213. If this competition is closed as per the closing date noted above, please continue to check http://www.jobs.alberta.ca for a listing of current career opportunities with the Government of Alberta.