*******Please visit www.trentu.ca/employment to apply for this position. Applications submitted through job boards will not be accepted.***********
The Systems & Reporting Coordinator is responsible for the ongoing user support and maintenance of the Housing Software System (StarRez), the safeguarding of student information for over 2,000 undergraduate and graduate bed spaces and the administration and analysis of the annual housing survey. The role is also responsible for the timely, efficient and accurate development and production of queries, exports, reports, lists, analyses, etc., as well as ensuring the quality and quantity of data to meet established department objectives. The incumbent works in setting up new modules, maintaining the current system, collecting and analyzing data and generating reports to inform department decision making. This position has responsibility for the systems and reporting in the department for Peterborough & Durham.
The incumbent will lead many projects that are critical to the department’s future growth and success. Within the first four years of the position the incumbent will lead the following projects:
- Modernization of the housing management system for better end user functionality
- Leading and implementing housing systems business process reviews
- Housing management systems review, request for proposals (if necessary) and implementation of the system
- Transition to the new housing management student portal web-based platform
- Implementation of new system modules, including adding data and information into the system, conducting system tests, and deploying the software once testing has completed. This includes the expansion of the system to include new residences in Peterborough and Durham.
The administration of annual housing surveys, data collection, and analysis, including the generation of reports for use in decision making by others.
Housing Management System
- Serve as the institutional administrator for the StarRez housing management system. This includes administering the system for the following user groups: Student Housing & Residence Life staff, Conference Services staff, TrentU Card staff, and Student Affairs staff.
- Work extensively with StarRez housing information system to set up and maintain modules, and reporting. Manages requests on improvements to system from various departments. This includes troubleshooting issues expressed by users and administrators, communicating with and managing StarRez and IT tickets as necessary
- Works directly with IT on StarRez integration with Colleague and APIs
- Lead and develop complex reports for the Assistant Director that detail business process reviews that have taken place and the recommended action plans
- Manage all software updates and upgrades, ensuring coordination with campus partners and software provider
- Lead the department in the analysis of the housing management system and recommendations for moving forward and modernizing the system
- Receives requests from department users for modifications, tracks requests, and processes requests with service provider
- Acts as a subject matter expert and resource for the housing software system (StarRez)
- Lead the users groups who utilize the housing management system in the transition to the new housing management system web based platform
- Personally ensures the accuracy and correctness of the housing software system and related processes/procedures
- Manages the accuracy of information contained in the system by running periodic audits
- Responsible for all annual administrative updates to the system including but not limited to updates to the application and admissions, billing and fee, facilities and student conduct information, conferences platform and the student portal
- Supports users in the application of the housing management system and the analysis of business processes in order to provide solutions or opportunities to automate tasks where applicable
- Implementation of new modules, including adding data and information into the system, conducting system tests, and deploying the software once testing has completed
- Write and implement SQL scripts in StarRez for use by data subscription module to assist in automating tasks for all housing staff and processes. In the future this may also include writing scripts for new software systems (e.g., new application portals).
- Analyze and implement technological systems and processes for all assignments and business process in StarRez
- Alert system users of network and system outages and the resonation action plans that are in place
- Produces complex queries, exports, reports, analyses and lists to meet the needs of the department
- Leads the production of standard reports within the housing department, including monthly, quarterly and annual reports and other information based the guidelines from the Housing Leadership Team
- Prepare and distribute weekly, monthly and annual statistical reports for use in operational decision making, budgeting, recruiting, programming, etc.
- Prepare with the Financial Officer monthly occupancy and financial occupancy reports for the Housing Leadership Team
- Collects, analyzes, and interprets data pertaining to occupancy and institutional enrollment goals, providing accurate data to the Assistant Director for use in forecasting
- Exchange and provide data and information to other campus partners whose work impacts the housing operation (e.g. Admissions, Recruitment, International, Colleges, Foodservices, Financial Services, etc.).
- Distinguish reporting needs between various groups and functional users to prioritize and deliver needs accordingly
- Track function use of space to ensure timely and accurate audits with minimal effort that capture maximum occupancy
- Analyze data and develop reports on the annual housing survey (Skyfactor/EBI) for distribution within and outside the Student Housing & Residence Life department
- Collect data pertaining to occupancy and institutional enrollment goals, providing accurate data to the Assistant Director for use in forecasting
- Collect and analyze data and develop reports on assessment findings
- Provides support to the Assistant Director in relation to processes and procedures, systems development, management and reporting
Security & Safeguarding of Information
- Administer security settings and user access for the housing management system, in accordance with established procedures from the Assistant Director
- Develop procedures meeting legal requirements relating to the safeguarding of student information within all department software platforms
- Regularly conduct system penetration tests, disaster recovery simulations and other simulated emergency exercises to assess overall readiness of all housing software platforms.
- Develop and maintain a housing IT disaster recovery, business continuity and emergency operations plans to integrate with the overall university risk management practices.
- Conduct risk analysis of external vendors, internal processes and departmental practices to assess operational security risk.
- Act as the primary point of contact for any information security issues, and manage security related events in accordance with internal policies and established best practices.
- Provide training and information to all users on the safeguarding and protection of data
- Conduct regular audits to identify and create solutions for possible security risks
- Ensure proper procedures are in place for the storage or sensitive student data and information
- Perform work related to special projects within housing (e.g. implementation of new software systems, assessment processes and procedures, etc.)
- Under the general direction of the Assistant Director, develops, revises and implements memorandums of understanding for the use of the housing software system (e.g. Conference Services, TrentU Card Office, Student Affairs, etc.)
- Represents the department on committees, task forces, and working groups as required
- Upholds residence agreement and policies when necessary
- Participate in planning and execution of move in/move out processes, working collaboratively with housing services staff
- Be knowledgeable of emergency response procedures and implement as required
- Provides assistance to the Housing Services main office when needed
- Participate in departmental meetings and committees as required
- Other duties as required
Honours University Degree (4 year) in Business Administration, Computer Science, or Management Information Systems is required.
- Four years of experience related to software and database management is required. Preference given to candidates with multiple years of experience in a university and housing setting.
- Four years of experience with data collection, maintenance and analysis is required.
- Expert knowledge and demonstrated ability with SQL required.
- Programming experience in major systems implementation languages, preferably C and BASIC.
- Proven experience in the operation and analysis of database hardware, software, and standards, as well as data retrieval methodologies.
- Significant experience implementing and/or troubleshooting web-based applications.
- Excellent data analysis skills and the ability to translate data into recommendations and concise reports.
- Experience in overseeing the design, development, and implementation of software and hardware solutions, systems, or products.
- A strong understanding of networking technologies and their interaction with web-based applications.
- Excellent analytical, mathematical, and creative problem-solving skills.
- Ability to conduct research into systems issues and products as required.
- Ability to communicate ideas in both technical and user-friendly language.
- Ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment.
- Experience with report writing and data analysis preferred.
- Superior computer skills; Intermediate level proficiency with word processing (MS Word). High proficiency in database/spreadsheet (MS Access/MS Excel) software; knowledge of Datatel and/or StarRez an asset.
- Understanding of Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act and implementation.
- High degree of accuracy, efficiency, skills in proof reading; patience with auditing and repeated review of details.
- Good communication skills; experience in customer service and dealing with difficult customers.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Strong public presentation skills.
- Understanding of the residence experience for students.
Job Types: Full-time, Contract
Salary: $34.82 to $41.11 /hour