Role and Responsibilities
- Formulation development of solid and liquid dose pharmaceutical, nutraceutical and cosmetic products.
- Determine physical and chemical stability of developed formulations.
- Support other activities related to product development, regulatory submissions and analytical method development.
- Schedule experiments and prioritize assignments to meet project objectives and deadlines.
- Actively participate in technology transfers related to developed products, scale up activities and test runs.
- Demonstrate ability to improve yields by reducing costs, including investigating alternative materials or new machinery to improve efficiency and quality in bottleneck areas.
- Record accurate and complete experimental protocols, procedures and results.
- Supervise more junior team members and provide help in planning and execution of laboratory experimentation.
- Assist in the general operation of formulation laboratory, including maintenance of SOP’s, other staff training, equipment set-up, maintenance and troubleshooting, lab supplies and equipment orders.
- Ensures availability of chemicals, excipients etc., needed to carry out all product development tasks.
- Ensure full compliance with all relevant regulations and procedures, including but not limited to, any work with regulated product.
- Contribute to departmental strategy and provide input on potential lab requirements and improvements.
- Adhere to federal and provincial health, safety and environmental regulations.
- Attend training sessions and continuously work on improvement of skills.
- Perform other related duties as required.
Qualifications and Education Requirements
- Master or PhD. degree in Chemistry/Pharmaceutical Chemistry/Biochemistry or a related field.
- Experience in the field of new product development or closely related field is required.
- Related experience in the industrial settings is an asset.
Qualifications and expectations
- The Scientist (Product Development) will have extensive scientific knowledge and technical skills required to perform their job and will continue to improve upon both job-related or specialty area knowledge and skills.
- Ability to efficiently handle formulation equipment, such as fluid bed dryer, high shear granulator, spray dryer, homogenizers, encapsulator or tablet press.
- Knowledge and understanding of the current state of the art related to of product development and formulations.
- Demonstrable experience with planning, scheduling and carrying out work from projects start to its successful completion.
- Good understanding of the challenges associated with scale-up and technology transfer is an asset.
- Good written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to follow detailed written and verbal instructions, communicating results of experiments with strong attention to detail.
- Excellent organizational skills and the ability to work on several tasks or projects concurrently.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers and managers; a positive attitude and general ability to work well with others is essential.
- Proficiency in MS Office or equivalent software packages
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
- Cosmetic or Pharmaceutical: 2 years (Required)
- GMP Compliance: 1 year (Required)