Senior Financial Analyst
The Senior Financial Analyst is primarily responsible for ensuring the accurate and timely cost transaction tracking of Federal Fleet Renewal (“FFR”) programs and for supporting the delivery of general accounting, business analytics and financial services by the Shipyards Finance Department. The position also assists in the preparation of reports for various partners and contributes to the meeting of the financial reporting requirements within the established timelines.
- Analyze and classify cost transaction data extracted from various systems, which include but are not limited to: timekeeping applications, JD Edwards EnterpriseOne (JDE) General Ledger, material requirements planning system, and various spreadsheets.
- Perform manual calculations and/or verify the accuracy of automated and system-generated revenue calculations.
- Assemble cost database files and supporting documentation by compiling data from various sources, or by preparing supporting schedules/calculations.
- Perform reconciliations and resolve data discrepancies to ensure accuracy of customer invoices.
- Collaborate closely with operational and financial personnel on relevant invoicing information.
- Assist in ensuring adherence to internal policies and controls that support the current processes.
- Update various databases needed, identify any anomalies and perform/recommend corrective and preventive actions.
Financial Close Process
- Support the Shipyards Finance team in completing month/quarter/year-end financial close process.
- Receive and review revenue and cost accrual information from PMO and process journal entries.
- Assist in preparing division scorecards and Key Performance Indicator reports.
Financial Analysis & Operational Support
- Support the Shipyards Finance group in delivering financial analyses, modelling, budgeting, forecasting and accounting services.
- Provide ad-hoc analyses in response to queries or to support various initiatives.
- Participate in process and procedure documentation.
- Contribute to operational improvement efforts.
- Complete Statistics Canada requests for information and reports and submits to Accounting Manager for review and sign off.
- Prepare year-end accounting schedules and working papers as required; including providing assistance in the preparation of additional working papers requested by the Accounting Manager for the annual external audit.
- Assists in any external audits or review (i.e., Assurances Canada, SRED, etc.).
Education and Experience
- Candidate preferred to be in the process of acquiring a CPA designation
- Diploma or Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Business Administration, Finance or Commerce.
- 5 years of progressive accounting and financial analysis experience, focus on revenue and cost accounting, or sophisticated billing/invoicing preferred.
Skills, Knowledge and Required Proficiencies
- Proven ability to prepare a broad range of financial documents, reports and analyses.
- Strong understanding of accounting concepts (particularly accruals and deferrals).
- Strong analytical skills and ability to complete accurate reviews of detailed information.
- Understanding of program/project management concepts and terminology.
- Excellent planning and organizational skills with the ability to work under tight schedules.
- A self-starter, ability to work with minimal direct supervision.
- Advance digital literacy, sophisticated Excel skills (macros, pivot table, lookups) and experience working with relational database programs.
- Solid understanding on enterprise resource programs (ERP); preference given to those with experience using JD Edwards Enterprise One and SAP Business Objects Web Intelligence or similar applications.
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to convey information to audiences with non-financial/accounting backgrounds.
- Well-developed interpersonal skills; ability to work well with diverse personalities and be a phenomenal teammate.
- Customer service oriented, with the ability to build and maintain effective working relationships with multiple client groups.
- Ability to meet requirements for Canadian Controlled Goods Program and Canadian Security clearance is vital.
Seaspan is committed to Employment Equity, supports diversity in the workplace, and encourages applications from all qualified individuals including, women, members of visible minorities, Indigenous persons, and persons with disabilities. Furthermore, we are committed to providing an inclusive and accessible environment. If you require reasonable accommodation during the recruitment process, please let us know, and we will work with you to support your request.
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
Work Location: Multiple Locations