The position is offered under the auspices of a Canada Summer Job grant and is therefore funding dependent, available as a seasonal position from May – August 2017 for applicants meeting Canada Summer Job Grant eligibility requirements:
Be between 15 and 30 years of age at the start of the employment
Have been registered as a full-time student in the previous academic year and intend to return to school on a full-time basis in the next academic year
Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or person to whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act 2 for the duration of the employment
Have a valid Social Insurance Number at the start of employment and be legally entitled to work in Canada in accordance with relevant provincial or territorial legislation and regulations
We require an enthusiastic and environmental generalist to help with community outreach events, activities and initiatives. The ideal candidate is a flexible and adaptable team player who will work well in a dynamic, innovative grassroots charity that focusses on providing exemplary service to its constituents. You have a passion for the environment, a thirst for knowledge, and an ability to connect with people about the things that matter the most to them. You work well on a team, as well as independently. You work well with clear instructions, and also enjoy having the time to innovate and build something new.
If you are interested in this position, please email your current resume and a cover letter that explains your commitment to our local environment to Christie Schulze, Senior Manager, People & Paper via email - email@example.com. Please no phone calls. We thank all those who take the time to apply. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Thank you.
The Community Outreach team member is responsible for supporting public engagement and educational outreach through Green Calgary’s programs, services, and initiatives. This includes but is not limited to:
1. Connecting with Calgarians and sharing stories:
Preparing and staffing community event tables and booths;
Attending and providing staff support at rain barrel sales;
Answering inquiries from the general public in the EcoStore and at community events;
Helping with event greening education and training/orientation on & off site as required;
Providing website, social media and other marketing/communications content for the EcoStore as needed;
2. Helping to make Calgary Greener:
Brainstorming on cost-effective engagement activities and opportunities;
Helping with the revisions and development of online resource guides;
Supporting program development to engage the general public in environmental initiatives in a friendly way;
3. Operational Support for Green Calgary:
Helping in the EcoStore to receive product and maintain storeroom and back stock areas;
Providing administrative support and reporting associated with the duties listed above;
4. Other duties related and/or complimentary to those listed above.
- Meets the Canada Summer Job Grant eligibility criteria
- Passion for the environment, sustainability and personal well being
- Strong computer skills
- Experience and knowledge of “green products” specifically those used in the home and yard including composting, rainwater harvesting and the use of green cleaning products.
- A valid driver’s license
- Availability to work evenings and most weekends May through the end of August.
- Customer service driven with excellent presentation, oral & written communication skills
- Enjoys working on a positive and collaborative team
- Flexible, resourceful, and highly organized multi-tasker that works well independently and takes initiative