The Program Coordinator is responsible for the programming side of camp – camp wide games, choice activities, free time, social skills lessons, field trips, collaborating with partnership organizations, bussing, etc. The Program Coordinator is responsible for running meal times, and meal time announcements, as well as program sign up for campers.
As the Program Coordinator you are functioning within multiple different teams consistently - you will lead and support the medial personnel, polaris instructor and program assistant, communicate with head counsellors, as well as the Leadership Team. Some of the personal characteristics, skills and physical capabilities we would expect potential candidates to demonstrate are:
- Easy to work with - from the perspective of peers, managers and campers.
- Problem Solver - both alone and with other staff. Can manage most challenges in their staff team.
- Adaptable - able to shift their approach, programming or ideas based on the situation, weather, etc.
- Communication skills - both written and verbal, due to the nature of our program and participants, those who can communicate well will excel.
- Perceptive - able to see when they should be doing a cannonball into the lake, combine dodgeball and paint, versus when they need to be empathetic, relaxed and professional.
Physical Demands of the role:
- Candidate must be able to lift and transport 20 – 40 pounds regularly.
- Candidate must be able to see and respond to situations.
- Candidate must be able to work in a consistently mobile fashion – walking up to 6 hours for day long field trips, running for games/activities, or in pursuit of a camper and consistently interact with campers and staff at both day and overnight camp.
- Candidate must be able to sustain attention to the program participants without significant impairment.
- Candidate will not have access to their cell phone during work hours at day camp, and only limited access during overnight camp - except during special circumstances and emergencies.
Role and Responsibilities
- Staff Management (25%)
- Provide feedback to staff team on an ongoing basis.
- Provide feedback to staff team and contribute to a mid-summer and end of summer evaluation.
- Actively participate with campers in programs and activities.
- Provide extra supervision at mealtimes, bedtimes, etc.
- Accompany all camp trips that go off site.
Supporting Program (50%)
- Create program plans and deliver a camp wide program daily.
- Supervise and support programming initiates from the staff team – ensure program supplies are available and purchased.
- Organize program supplies, and ensure program supplies are in working order and safe to be used.
- Support escalating and challenging camper behavior in program areas.
- Prior to and during camp, lead the preparation, implementation and evaluation of camp programs designed to teach and reinforce positive social skills and develop self-esteem and self-confidence
- Ensure campers and staff follow safety procedures in all program areas
- Administer behavior management strategies in accordance with the camp policies
- Assist in the management and care of the physical facilities and equipment in all program areas.
Administration and Supporting Documentation (25%)
- Maintain accurate records in the form of progress notes and reports on an on going basis.
- Ensure all forms and reports are accurately completed within the guidelines of the camp, this includes incident reports, camper reports, staff evaluations, program and training evaluations
- Review camper report cards prepared by designated Counselors
- Minimum age of 20 years (maximum age of 30 years).
- First Aid and CPR certification – provided for staff who do not have certification
- NLS (National Lifeguard Service) certification an asset.
- Previous experience working with children and youth, particularly those with Learning Disabilities or ADHD is preferred.
- Previous leadership and/or staff management experience.
- Knowledge of behaviour management strategies preferred.
- Previous camp experience is preferred.
- The successful candidate must submit a Police Record Check before commencement of work at Camp Amicus.
Job Types: Full-time, Temporary, Contract