IMAGINE a hospital where everyone is committed to excellence. We did. We are. From boardroom to bedside, we go above and beyond to offer the best and safest patient care. At North York General Hospital (NYGH), we put our patients first in everything we do. We are achieving a new standard of excellence in integrated patient-centered care. and as one of Canada's leading community academic hospitals, we are building on our academic foundation through enhanced education, research and innovation. As part of our dynamic team, you too can stand out and be amazing! At NYGH, our team is making a world of difference. NYGH has recently been ranked the #2 Hospital in Canada by Newsweek.
This position supports the hospital’s academic mandate by advancing care through teaching and learning and/or transforming care through research and innovation. This position contributes to the shared responsibility of ensuring health and safety policies are followed to provide for a healthy environment for patients, staff, physicians, volunteers and families.
Anesthesia Assistant, Perioperative Services
Your goal in this position is to provide clinical and technical assistance to the Department of Anesthesia including set up and monitoring of Anesthesia in all areas of Perioperative Services PACU, L&D, Cysto and other related areas where Anesthesia may be involved, under the direct supervision of an anesthesiologist. You will provide quality services in accordance with professional standards, hospital policies, and operate under medical directives or direct physician orders. This position will be a team based, working collaboratively to meet the needs of the patients who are under the care of an anesthetist.
On a practical level, you will
- Prepare the surgical patient under supervision of the Anaesthesiologist,
- Assist with the set up and administration of ventilation
- Provide assistance with the 3 stages of Anaesthesia, Induction, Maintenance and Emergence Periods
- Demonstrate airway Management, including difficult airways
- Provide respiratory therapy services for patients in PACU (i.e., Ventilator and Airway Management, Hi-flow oxygen therapy, specialty inhalation therapy)
- Participate in the transfer and transportation of ventilated and monitored patients
- Provide education of respiratory therapy to students and Level 3P paramedics
- Participate in other technical support as directed by the Anaesthesiologist
- Registered Nurse or Registered Respiratory Therapist registered in good standing with respective Colleges
- Successful completion of an Advanced Anaesthesia Assistance Certificate Program, required
- Hold certifications in BCLS, ACLS and PALS (NRP, an asset)
- Membership in CAS recommended
- For RNs, Critical Care Course and/ or the CPNC, or PACU
- Minimum 2 years’ experience in the Anaesthesia Assistant role, required
- 2 years of Critical Care or Operating Room experience
- Minimum of 3 - 5 years as a Registered Respiratory Therapist or Registered Nurse
Bilingualism in French/English an asset
What We Offer
Working at NYGH means working with a dynamic team of fellow healthcare providers, staff, and volunteers in one of Canada’s leading hospitals. This is a Full Time Regular Position with 8 hour shifts, days/evenings, including weekends and on call, in Perioperative Services. We offer a highly competitive total compensation package that includes benefits, pension, and vacation. If you were searching for more reasons to consider joining the wonderful team at NYGH, check out some features of our Total Rewards package by visiting nygh.on.ca
How to Apply
Think you're the right person for the job? Here's your first chance to show us why:
Ensure to meet the deadline - only applications received by the closing date will be considered.
We will review all applications and will contact those selected for an interview.
At North York General, we are committed to fostering an inclusive and accessible environment. We are dedicated to building a workforce that reflects the diversity of the community in which we live, including those with disabilities. North York General is committed to providing accommodations in all parts of the hiring process. If you require an accommodation, we will work with you to meet your needs.