Orica is one of the largest providers of commercial explosives and blasting systems to the mining and infrastructure markets, the global leader in the provision of ground support in mining and tunnelling.
An Australian company with a global footprint, Orica has a diverse workforce, with operations in more than 50 countries and customers in more than 100.
Orica’s vision is to provide Clever Resourceful Solutions to our customers around the world. Our value of No Accidents Today underpins our commitment to the safety, health and well-being of our people and customers, the environment, and the communities in which we operate.
The Role – 7416 – WebGen Technical Writer (Brownsburg, QC)
The main responsibilities of the WebGen Technical Writer will be to develop and maintain research technical documents such as policies, standard operating procedures, technical manuals, user manuals, programming manuals, service manuals, operational specifications, and related technical publications to communicate clearly and effectively highly technical specifications and instructions to a wide range of audiences.
This position will be based in Quebec at our Brownsburg Manufacturing Site approximately one-hour west of Montreal. You will work with a team of Engineers, technicians and users across the world with different cultures and languages. You will be encouraged (and expected!) to assist in the design and commissioning phases of prototypes to collect and interpret technical data or information to create documentation clarity and simplicity.
Collects and interprets technical data or information and coordinates layout for publication
- Deliver high-quality technical documentation for engineering technologies, creating procedural and training content for manuals, and producing descriptions of best practices, knowledge base content while ensuring structure, completeness, logic, and clarity.
- Prepare and review controlled process documents to ensure submitted procedures are compliant and meet the requirements of R&D document control procedures.
- Work with subject matter experts and key functional department personnel to fully understand products, procedures and processes and to ensure timely development and accurate content of required documentation.
- Perform Quality Control reviews on process document content and formatting.
- Interact efficiently and successfully with staff at all levels.
- Produce results in a timely fashion with the ability to seamlessly change priorities as needed.
- Create documents with a consistent style and voice.
- Ensure accuracy by reviewing documents for completeness and coordinate revisions, reviews and approvals through proper workflows for authorization
- Translate technical terms and facts into easily understood language for a wide variety of technical and non-technical audiences.
Experience and Qualifications
- Diploma or Degree in applicable discipline, or equivalent experience
- Minimum of five (5) years of experience writing clear, accurate and concise documentation in the research industry
- Exceptional written communication skills, to include composition, spelling and grammar for documents produced in the English language.
- Moderate to expert level in MS office products to include Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook and Visio and web-based document management tools like SharePoint.
- Proven experience working in a collaborative environment with the ability to work quickly and accurately under the pressure of strict deadlines and the ability to communicate effectively with a wide range of personnel.
- Excellent analytical, technical and problem-solving skills, including the ability to independently identify, research, analyse and document business processes.
Assets (Nice to have)
- Experience in a documentation, technical writing and/or training role preferred
- Clear understanding of how to translate and organize complex technical information into an array of readable formats
- Knowledge of or experience with document storage software preferred
- Analytical problem-solving skills
- Emphasis on working in a controlled industry is preferred
- Organization skills with the ability to stay accountable to deliverables and milestones
- Multi-task in a steady-paced environment
What we offer
To ensure that we attract and retain the best people we offer:
- The opportunities, facilities and environment associated with working in an international organisation;
- Career paths that are totally flexible allowing you to specialise or become a generalist;
- A diverse workplace where your unique abilities and talents will be recognised and encouraged;
- Training programs, opportunities and initiatives to ensure your continued growth;
- Competitive salary packages.