The Winnipeg Airports Authority (WAA) is a community-based, non-share capital corporation that operates, manages, maintains and invests in the Winnipeg James Armstrong Richardson International Airport and affiliate businesses. Operating on a multi-site property, the WAA is responsible for airport operations, security, facilities, parking, ground transportation and communications.
With an ever-expanding airport campus, WAA is a critical player in the development of one of Canada’s strategic transportation hubs. As a perennial “Top Manitoba Employer”, the WAA prides itself as an organization that attracts engaged employees with the right skills, in the right place, and at the right time. http://www.waa.ca
One (1) Year Term (Full-Time)
Winnipeg Airport Services Corp. (WASCO) is a wholly-owned subsidiary of the Winnipeg Airports Authority that provides airport operations, management, facility maintenance and technical services to Canadian Airports.
A key offering by WASCO is the development and delivery of Safety Management Systems for airports throughout Canada, including 24 airports owned and operated by the Government of Nunavut. Our team of aviation safety management professionals are responsible for the daily administration and management of our client’s Safety Management System (SMS) and Quality Assurance Program (QAP) in accordance with Transport Canada regulatory requirements per the Canadian Aviation Regulations.
Winnipeg Airport We are seeking a qualified aviation professional to join our growing SMS team with demonstrated expertise in the development and implementation of airport safety programs. Reporting directly to the Manager, Airport Safety Programs, the team of Airport Safety Programs Coordinators are responsible for the delivery and on-going administration for the SMS for Airports under contract to WASCO, including but not limited to the 24 Nunavut Airports.
Working in a collaborative environment, the ideal candidate will provide leadership and mentorship to our growing team of aviation SMS professionals fulfilling the role of a Senior Coordinator.
Based out of the WASCO corporate offices at the Winnipeg Richardson International Airport, the Airport Safety Programs Coordinator may be required to travel to airport sites and client offices.
- Promotes and exhibits a cooperative and collaborative environment that fosters a safety culture with local airport staff and management
- Under the direction of the Manager, Airport Safety Programs executes a SMS program in compliance with Transport Canada regulatory requirements and industry best practices
- Participates and contributes as a member of a growing team of aviation SMS professionals
- Assists in the development of SMS program forms, reports and other templates for use by local airport staff and management
- Oversight and administration of individual SMS for each airport assigned commensurate with the size, scale and complexity of each operating environment
- Interacts productively and collaboratively daily with local airport staff and management to collect, review, and analyse reports and other data
- Inputs collected forms, reports and data into SMS software and identifies hazards for additional analysis, reporting and mitigation
- Identifies hazard trends and recommends appropriate mitigating solutions for implementation by supervisors, management, regional management and the Accountable Executive
- Manages the hazard registry for each airport under their administration, and where applicable a consolidated hazard registry greater airport regions
- Working collaboratively with local airport staff and management, identifies root cause analysis and drafts corrective action plans
- Participates in the execution of Hazard Identification Risk Assessments per the approved SMS
- Assesses historical and technical data for trends related to hazards, events and occurrences and identifies solutions for risk hazard mitigation as part of a continuous improvement program
- Promotes a customer service culture to the team in the delivery of services to clients
- Prepares, submits and presents technical reports to the Manager, Airport Safety Programs
- Respectfully, collaboratively and effectively communicates with clients, staff and management
Selection Criteria include:
- Bachelor’s degree in Aviation Operations or Aviation Management or related degree or three (3) year advanced diploma
- Two (2) years’ experience in aviation operations, management or safety
- Proven experience engaged in an aviation Safety Management System
- Strong knowledge of Canadian Aviation Regulations, Safety Management Systems and Risk Management
- Understanding of a how to develop, implement and manage a Safety Management System
- Ability to work in dynamic work environment with changing priorities
- Must retain and maintain Transport Canada security clearance (Restricted Area Identity Card)
- Posses a high degree of proficiency with Microsoft Office products (including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook and Access)
- Computer literate and able to learn new programs and software systems
- Customer service and business development oriented
Work with us!
Posting Expiry Date:
- Highly competitive salary;
- Full Benefits package, Health, Dental & Vision;
- DC Pension Plan;
- Healthcare Spending Account to use on additional benefit expenses;
- Lifestyle Spending Account to use on Wellness expenses such as health and fitness;
- Employee Assistance Program;
- Supported Training & Development opportunities;
- Opportunity to work with a high functioning team of professionals working on a diversified portfolio;
- Awarded Canada’s Top Employer of 2012; and
- Awarded Manitoba’s Top Employers 9 consecutive years.
March 10, 2020
Condition of employment is the ability to obtain and maintain an Airport Restricted Area Identification Card.
WAA is an employment equity employer; aboriginal persons, women, visible minorities and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to self-declare in their cover letter.