The Dawson Group is comprised of multiple companies serving British Columbia, including Dawson Construction and Eagle Rock Construction, Dawson Road Maintenance, and IRL International Truck Centres & Idealease.
Dawson Road Maintenance Ltd. efficiently maintains public local roads, main highways, and bridges in accordance to the specifications set out by the Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure (MoTI). Utilizing highly trained personnel, innovative technologies and products, a diverse fleet of specialized maintenance equipment, and real time weather forecasting; Dawson Road Maintenance works hard to continuously apply maintenance where and when it is needed. We provide these services to ensure British Columbians are safely connected, every day.
We are looking for an experienced senior leader to join our team as Superintendent, Mechanical. Reporting to the Manager, Operations, this role provides management of the service provisions for the Dawson Road Maintenance service area assignment. The incumbent exercises strong equipment maintenance skills along with detailed planning and organizational expertise to consistently deliver against company objectives. This position is based in Fort St John, BC.
WHAT SUCCESS LOOKS LIKE
- Determine methods and course of action to achieve departmental goals, using effective planning to reach efficient performance.
- Schedule and prioritize equipment repair and maintenance on all equipment, including preventative maintenance and warranty compliance schedules.
- Manages and directs the activities of maintenance team in proper shop operating procedures.
- Supervises the activities of all mechanical employees of highway maintenance equipment.
- Ensure that all equipment is completely inspected at least once a year and is calibrated based on the manufacturer’s recommendations or government standard.
- Support on-the-job including identifying all sources of equipment maintenance, repair and spare parts. Ensure the ready status of idle equipment.
- Establish productivity expectations and track the production and activity of the mechanic workforce.
- Develop and maintain files on all equipment for historical data.
- Effectively train, coach, discipline and develop employees to achieve and maintain positive working relationships within the maintenance shop.
- Support and monitor compliance with the company Safe and Efficient Equipment Program, Environmental Management Plan and Occupational Health & Safety Plan.
- Ensure compliance with WSBC, ICBC & Commercial Transport regulations (CVSE).
- Familiar with equipment electronic record systems including Automated Vehicle Tracking.
WHAT YOU BRING
- Journeyman Certificate in Heavy Duty or Commercial Transport Mechanics.
- Valid Driver’s License, minimum Class 5. Class 3 with Air is an asset.
- Grade 12 education; and up-to-date technical knowledge acquired through trade-related courses since achieving TQ certification.
- CVIP Inspection license is preferred, or willingness to acquire.
- Knowledge and experience in Preventative Maintenance Programs.
- Knowledge of International and Cat equipment preferred.
- Knowledge of applicable national laws, codes, regulations, policies and procedures.
- Effective management skills, with a strong focus on operations and business processes.
- Understanding of road maintenance, equipment and construction industry.
- Strong written and verbal communication.
Looking to be a key member of a well-established family-owned company? Our core values include: People First, Integrity, Respect and Excellence and as such we are committed to providing an environment that supports the growth and effectiveness of our employees and the organization. You will work for a company that offers an excellent compensation package, pension, and medical benefits, as well as learning and long-term advancement opportunities.
The Dawson Group is expanding our reach and need people like you to join us on our journey, and help us achieve our vision of safely connecting our communities.
Apply now to start the conversation!
The Dawson Group uses a centralized application service- please apply electronically as paper resumes will not be accepted
Job Type: Full-time
- preventative maintenance : 1 year (Preferred)
- Secondary School (Preferred)
- class 3 (Preferred)
- class 5 (Required)
- journeyman mechanic (Preferred)
- CVIP (Preferred)