ALS provides a broad range of testing and analytical services to a wide variety of end markets and industries around the globe. We continue to remain a leader in the testing services industry and have established a distinguished reputation for providing best in class results and client services.
ALS Environmental, Calgary, AB
About the Position:
This position is responsible for performing preparations, extractions and analysis on soil and water samples.
- Generate worklists;
- Retrieve samples from storage (includes some lifting and carrying of soils and water
- Operate simple lab instrument/equipment such as pipettes, shakers, centrifuges, pH
- Assist in performing microbiological analyses: membrane filtration, SRB/IRB testing,
Collilert method testing, microtox and any other specific microbiological
cultures preparation, verification;
- Perform instrument/equipment calibration, maintenance and repair as required;
- Calibration and use of pipettes;
- Perform sample preparation – filtration, screening, grinding, extraction and digestion;
- Prepare all required reagents, standards, reference materials, etc;
- Carry out all required data processing (i.e. calculations, data review, data entry,
- Carry out all required record-keeping & documentation;
- General laboratory clean-up and maintenance;
- Clean and maintain glassware and lab ware;
- Assist in sample flow and archiving as well as data archiving;
- Monitor controlled equipment;
- Perform all required quality control procedures;
- Produce all of the above within specific turnaround times;
- Use correct methods in accordance with the established procedures and schedules
while ensuring analytical quality;
- Observe established safety regulations and comply with all ALS health and safety
policies and procedures;
- Other duties as assigned by the Supervisor or Team Lead.
Required Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Good English communication skills required (auditory, verbal, written, and reading);
- Basic user of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel and Outlook), with basic computer skills;
- Accurate and efficient data entry skill is an asset;
- Ability to perform repetitive tasks accurately in a fast-paced environment;
- Well organized, with the ability to meet strict deadlines;
- Analytical and process oriented, with the ability to critically think in ambiguous
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team;
- Strong work ethic and willingness to take on varied tasks as required;
- Commitment to excellence and a client-focused attitude.
- Completion of high school diploma or equivalent required;
- Some experience working in a fast-paced, production, and/or preparation environment;
- Knowledge from high school science courses and/or basic laboratory safety is an asset;
- Experience working with chemicals or in a laboratory setting (ex. school) is an asset, but
- Full training will be provided.
- Ability to lift up to 30 lbs./14 kg on a regular basis and carry for short distances;
- Ability to sit or stand for long periods of time;
- Manual dexterity to perform intricate and/or repetitive tasks;
- Able to climb stairs;
- Wear issued personal protective equipment (PPE) such as dust masks, gloves etc.,
- Ability to stand for a full shift;
- Ability to sit at a desk and do general office work, which includes periodic sedentary
- You may be exposed to unpleasant fumes;
- Please note that ALS operates 24/7 and will require day, afternoon, and graveyard
shift work including weekends.
For further details:
- Candidates interested in this opportunity should apply no later than July 10, 2020;
- We would like to thank everyone for their interest in ALS, however only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
- For the employee referral bonus program this position is eligible for a Level A bonus award.
ALS is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and is committed to fostering an inclusive work environment where the different strengths and perspectives of each employee are both recognized and valued. We therefore encourage applications from all individuals; particularly women, First Nations, people with disabilities and visible minorities.
ALS also welcomes applications from people with all levels of ability. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.