Tbaytel is a leading regional provider of telecommunications products and services. We are a dynamic, growth-oriented company committed to investing in the people and organizations that help build strong and healthy communities throughout the entire region we serve. Tbaytel offers comprehensive benefits, performance and recognition programs, educational training, work-life balance and career growth opportunities.
This is a long-term temporary opportunity up to three (3) years.
- Under the general supervision of the Operations Supervisors, the Operations Technician is responsible for the installation and repair of Tbaytel products and services, outside plant infrastructure, and related telecommunications equipment. The Operations Technician is end-to-end solution oriented, and driven to provide a superior customer experience.
- Installs structured cabling at customers’ premises for Voice and Data services.
- Performs service and repair work, from the CO, remotes, and outside plant infrastructure to customer premise equipment.
- Installs, splices, and tests copper & fiber cables, service drops, terminals and closures.
- Installs and maintains all support structures including but not restricted to aerial messenger, poles, anchors, guys, cabinets, manholes and ducts.
- Performs cable fault analysis to sectionalize troubles; locates faults and repairs overhead and underground cables (copper, fiber optic); diagnoses and repairs defective cable pairs using different testing apparatus.
- Prepares fiber cables for the fiber management system, installs and maintains FOTS enclosures and monitoring equipment for cables and associated equipment for use with carrier and fiber optic transmission.
- Prepares copper cables for pressurization and monitoring; installs program devices and maintains the pressurization systems and computerized detection systems.
- Locates and marks underground telephone plant.
- Provisions, tests and maintains commercial Voice and Data services. Installs and maintains related equipment including but not limited to data circuits, hosted systems, switches and peripheral terminal equipment, IP and networking equipment, digital TV, and security systems.
- Provides and updates as-built information to maintain records, drawings and maps. Liaises with Engineering on work order revisions, construction status, design improvements, quality control and cost savings.
- Operates various types of equipment used in construction.
- Works in compliance with all applicable Health and Safety Legislation and Tbaytel Policy.
- Performs such other related duties as may be assigned.
- A completed post-secondary school certificate or diploma together with 3 years of industry experience and demonstrated knowledge
- A completed degree or diploma in Electrical or Electronics Engineering or equivalent from a University or College
- Strong computer skills
- Capable of performing demanding physical labour
- Ability to communicate with the public and fellow employees in a courteous and tactful manner
- A degree or diploma in Electrical or Electronics Engineering Technology or equivalent from a University or College
- Previous telecommunications experience
Conditions of Employment
- Capable of acquiring a valid ‘DZ’ driver’s license and be able to upgrade to an ‘A’ Licence if required.
- Capable of issuing and comprehending clearly understandable written and oral instructions.
- Have neat and legible handwriting.
- Able to differentiate coloured wiring, and have an aptitude for high-tech tools.
- Able to work at heights, climb and work freely on poles, ladders, and aerial mobile equipment.
- Work shift work as required.
- Successfully undergo a satisfactory Criminal Records Check.
- It is essential to be competent within the meaning of Part II of the Canada Labor Code and the Occupational Health and Safety Act
Tbaytel strives to provide a safe environment for its customers, employees and assets. To support this goal, Tbaytel requires that all individuals acting in their capacity as employees, students, and contractors for Tbaytel undergo a Criminal Records Check (CRC).
Tbaytel will review the CRC to determine if the offence(s) are relative to the bona fide job requirements.
Criminal Records Checks will be conducted in a discreet and confidential manner, in the interest of Tbaytel and for public safety of the community served by Tbaytel.
What is a Criminal Records Check?
A Criminal Records Check is a CRC which searches the National repository for criminal records in Canada via the Canadian Police Information Centre (CPIC). It also identifies pending criminal code charges and outstanding warrants.
For more information on obtaining a record suspension please visit the Parole Board of Canada
Tbaytel is an equal opportunity employer, who encourages applications from Aboriginal peoples, persons with disabilities, members of visible minority groups and women. Reasonable accommodations are available upon request for all parts of the recruitment process. Applicants need to make their needs known by contacting Tbaytel Human Resources in advance.