PARAGON TESTING ENTERPRISES operates in the highly competitive and rapidly growing industry for English proficiency tests and their instructional products and services. Paragon aspires for its tests to become the Canadian tests of choice for immigration to Canada and for admission to Canadian universities and colleges.
The successful candidate will join the Technology team as a System Administrator and help with the network administration and maintenance of our mission critical software and computer systems. This also involves participating to establish methods and protocols for improving Paragon’s systems.
This position reports to the Manager, Technology.
As a precaution for COVID-19, all applicants must have a steady internet connection to work from home.
RESPONSIBILITIES:As part of a team effort, the System Administrator will:
- Deploy, secure, and administer applications and infrastructure to the cloud (Amazon/Azure).
- Manage and secure on-premise applications hosted in Windows and Linux.
- Support and manage critical (internet, email, and phone) services across our offices in Vancouver, Toronto, and Singapore.
- Develop disaster recovery procedures that ensure systems and data are backed up regularly, stored off-site, and routinely restored to verify that backups are valid.
- Develop proactive/early warning systems to monitor and escalate issues with production infrastructure, capacity, web, application, and database systems.
- Install, configure, maintain, troubleshoot, and support complex network solutions (switches, routers, load balancers, firewalls, reverse proxies, VPN, remote access, VOIP, wireless, printers etc.).
- Conduct audits to ensure that security compliance (PCI), software licences, service agreements, warranties, and IT equipment purchases are renewed and valid.
- Collaborate and follow up effectively with stakeholders.
- Follow up with the Manager, Technology, regarding timelines and network administration issues.
- Identify areas of improvement in security/network administration, and implement these improvements once approved.
- Present technical presentations in network administration, or technology related to the IT and security industry.
- Excellent knowledge managing infrastructure using VMWare.
- Excellent technical knowledge of Windows operating systems (Windows 10, 2012/2019 Server) and Linux variants.
- Excellent technical knowledge of network hardware, protocols and standards, including RAID, Active Directory/LDAP, TCP/IP, HTTP/HTTPS, SSL certificates
- Good knowledge of Containerization (Docker, Kubernetes).
- Good knowledge of Python, PowerShell, and/or other scripting languages.
- Good knowledge of Microsoft SQL Server and Microsoft IIS.
- Degree, diploma, or certification in computer science, computer engineering, or a related discipline from an accredited post-secondary institution
Experience and Abilities
- Minimum three years of experience working in positions of network or systems administration.
- Experience working alongside software professionals in troubleshooting technical issues.
- Experience working with non-technical staff regarding business workflows and requirements in a collaborative manner.
- Experience writing detailed technical requirements, business workflow documents, software testing documents, and other technical articles and blogs.
- Strong critical thinking and problem-solving skills with careful attention to detail.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral.
- Ability to present technical concepts to both technical and non-technical audiences as required.
- Occasional travel might be required.
- Must be willing to work evenings and weekends as required.
- Must be eligible to work in Canada.
- Due to COVID-19, must be able to work from home.
Local candidates only. No agencies please.
As soon as possible
Commensurate with candidate’s qualifications
Type of position:
Competition closing date:
Until position is filled
Broadway Tech Centre, Vancouver, BC