Chinook Village has 25+ years of experience offering progressive and active lifestyle options for those 50+ years of age. We are one of the largest adult living communities in Southern Alberta with 342 suites offering Independent, Supportive and Assisted Living options.
Our Mission is to provide a village with quality accommodations, programs and services where older adults can thrive.
This posting is for a Finance Manager to cover a maternity leave coverage of up to 18 months. There will be a 2-4 week overlap for training purposes before the leave commences. The position will end upon the return of the incumbent.
I. Job Summary
The Finance Manager is responsible for the secure and efficient management of Chinook Village’s operating and capital finances. This position provides analysis, reports and administration of the organization’s finances as well as implementing financial and employee policies. The finance manager is responsible to ensure the Board of Directors and Management is supplied with timely financial information necessary for sound decision making. This position also manages and oversees payroll, employment records, WCB, RRSP program, EAP, and the Employee Medical, Dental, Vision and Life Benefits program as well as human resources.
II. Essential Duties and Responsibilities
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Other minor duties may be assigned.
- Performs and/or supervises the financial, payroll operations, and human resources ensuring that financial and payroll records are up to date and clear
- Reviews, Develops, and Recommends the Employee Policies pertaining to payroll, compensation, HR, WCB and Benefits
- Administers the bookkeeping allocation procedure between several budgets and ensures that allocations accurately reflect real building costs
- Manages Chinook Village cash flow in such a way as to meet all financial commitments
- Issues comprehensive financial reports for each budget a minimum of once per month
- Issues comprehensive financial reports to the Board of Directors prior to their meetings
- Ensures secure and efficient cash handling procedures and trains staff in following them
- Ensures that all bank deposits are made in a secure and timely basis
- Has signing authority
- Undertakes a comprehensive analysis of significant financial trends and events and brings to the attention of appropriate management or staff
- Cooperates fully with Chinook Village’s accountant to produce a clear and comprehensive Year-End Audit in a timely manner
- In conjunction with the Managing Director and other department managers, prepares annual budgets in a timely manner and submits for Board approval
- In conjunction with the Managing Director monitors budget progress through the fiscal year and exercises spending controls as necessary
- Ensures verification, approval and proper documentation of all invoices
- Ensures that all Chinook Village bookkeeping, accounting, and cash handling follow generally accepted accounting principles
- Ensures that all Chinook Village financial records portray an accurate and honest report of the current financial situation
- Cordially and efficiently deals with residents’ inquiries on matters related to their fees and charges
- Oversees the Employee RRSP program, the Employee Assistance Program (EAP) and the Employee Health and Life Benefits program, determining eligibility, adding and deleting employees from the program, and issuing all appropriate forms
- Manage all HR issues which may include terminations, pay-outs, discipline, warnings, follow-ups, possible medical progressions for back-to-work, recommendations to Managing Director and Managers, etc.
III. Supervisory Responsibilities
This position oversees the Bookkeeper and Payroll/ HR Clerk
The requirements listed below are representative of the qualifications necessary to perform the job.
A. Education and Experience
- Preferred: Bachelor’s Degree in accounting, or equivalent experience
- 2-3 years of previous experience.
B. Certificates, Licenses, Registrations or Other Requirements
- CPA Designation or equivalant is preferred.
- Must be legally eligible to work in Canada with a valid SIN.
C. Other Knowledge, Skills or Abilities Required
- Sage 300 accounting program experience is an asset.
- GAAP knowledge, accounts payable, and/or accounts receivable knowledge required.
- Not-for-profit and/or charity accounting knowledge is preferred
- Strong knowledge in payroll, Alberta Employment Standards and human resources
D. Other requirements
- Successful candidate will need to submit a current, clear criminal record and vulnerable sector check no older that 6 months
V. Work Environment
Listed below are key points regarding environmental demands and work environment of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
- Required to use motor coordination with finger dexterity (such as keyboarding, machine operation, etc.) most of the workday
- Normal setting for this job is: office setting
- Overtime as required (Note: Managers are salaried and do not qualify for overtime pay)
At Chinook Village each eligible employee receives a competitive compensation package. Our benefits package is split 50/50 with the employee and includes Medical, Dental, Vision, Critical Illness, Long-term Disability and Life Insurance. As well as the opportunity to participate in our employee RRSP Plan.
This position will remain open until a suitable candidate is found. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
If this sounds like the opportunity that you have been looking for, please click "Apply.”
- Extended health care
- Dental care
- Life insurance
- On-site parking
- Vision care
- Vacation & paid time off
- Discounted/free food
- Employee assistance programs
Contract length: 12 months
Job Types: Full-time, Temporary
- accounting: 3 years (Required)