We have opportunities available in Toronto (GTA), Ontario
The job duties of a General Laborer vary and may include cleaning and preparing a job site, unloading and moving of materials, using a variety of hand tools, including shovels to dig trenches for waste and water pipes and wheelbarrows to move cement. You will work as part of a construction crew in a collaborative, team environment and report directly to the foreman.
- Dig trenches to lay pipe on residential job sites.
- Assist with laying of the pipe as required.
- Cover up pipe once it has been inspected.
- Perform site housekeeping, ensuring site is safe for all workers.
- Collect cement in wheelbarrow and deliver to work location as required.
- Assist with cement finishing as required.
- Unload materials being delivered to the job site and store safely in site containers provided.
- Retrieve material required for daily jobs from the storage containers.
- Assist Cement Finisher and Pipe Layer in performing their assigned duties.
Cement finishers smooth finished surfaces of poured concrete to specific textures. You will work as part of a construction crew in a collaborative, team environment and report directly to the foreman.
- Check the forms that hold the concrete to see that they are properly constructed.
- Spread, level, and smooth concrete, using rake, shovel, hand or power trowel, hand or power screed, and float.
- Mold expansion joints and edges, using edging tools, jointers, and straightedge.
- Monitor how the wind, heat, or cold affect the curing of the concrete throughout the entire process.
- Signal truck driver to position truck to facilitate pouring concrete and move chute to direct concrete on forms.
- Produce rough concrete surface, using broom.
- Operate power vibrator to compact concrete.
- Wet surface to prepare for bonding, fill holes and cracks with grout or slurry, and smooth, using trowel.
- Clean chipped area, using wire brush, and feel and observe surface to determine if it is rough or uneven.
- Apply hardening and sealing compounds to cure surface of concrete, and waterproof or restore surface.
- Chip, scrape, and grind high spots, ridges, and rough projections to finish concrete, using pneumatic chisels, power grinders, or hand tools.
- Install anchor bolts, steel plates, door sills and other fixtures in freshly poured concrete and/or pattern or stamp the surface to provide a decorative finish.
- Apply muriatic acid to clean surface, and rinse with water.
Pipe Layer lay out and install pipe in residential homes in accordance with the approved plans. You will work as part of a construction crew in a collaborative, team environment and report directly to the foreman.
- Install or use instruments such as lasers, grade rods, or transit levels.
- Cut pipes to required lengths.
- Connect pipe pieces and seal joints, using welding equipment, cement, or glue.
- Apply adhesives to construction materials.
- Cover pipes with earth or other materials.
- Spread sand, dirt or other loose materials onto surfaces.
- Install sanitary or stormwater sewer structures or pipe systems.
- Align and position pipes to prepare them for sealing.
- Check slopes for conformance to requirements, using levels or lasers.
- Evaluate projects to determine compliance with technical specifications.
- Lay out pipe routes, following written instructions or blueprints and coordinating layouts with foreman.
- Mark reference points on construction materials.
- Grade or level trench bases, using tamping machines or hand tools.
- Compact materials to create level bases.
- Dig trenches to desired or required depths, by hand or using trenching tools.
- Dig holes or trenches.
- Tap and drill holes into pipes to introduce auxiliary lines or devices.
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent