Reference Number: CAN-ON-ACT-182-281119
Founded in 1989, CanWel is headquartered in Vancouver, British Columbia and trades on the Toronto Stock Exchange under the symbol CWX, and is Canada’s only fully integrated national distributor in the building materials and related products sector.
CanWel operates multiple treating plants and planing facilities in Canada and the United States, and operates distribution centres coast to coast in all major cities and strategic locations across Canada, and near San Francisco and Los Angeles, California. CanWel distributes a wide range of building materials, lumber, and renovation products. In addition, through its CanWel Fibre division, CanWel operates a vertically-integrated forest products company based in Western Canada, operating from British Columbia to Saskatchewan, also servicing the US Pacific Northwest. CanWel owns approximately 136,000 acres of private timberlands, strategic Crown licenses and tenures, log harvesting and trucking operations, several post and pole peeling facilities, and two pressure-treated specialty wood production plants.
Reporting to the Sales Manager – Ontario, the Account Manager, who represents all CanWel product lines, is responsible for maintaining and developing existing accounts, promoting manufacturers’ programs, and sourcing new business opportunities in Southwest Ontario as the assigned territory.
- Manage existing account relationships and continually source opportunities to increase sales.
- Maintain productive relationships with retailers and specifiers to ensure continued support for all of the CanWel product lines.
- Work with manufacturers’ representatives to develop and implement strategic growth in each of the product lines.
- Determine customers’ needs by demonstrating knowledge of the industry, pricing, competition, and develop effective proposals for presentation.
- Conduct regular product knowledge information sessions with contractor sales people.
- Maintain diligence with call planning, strategizing, and follow-ups to ensure an effective communication loop is maintained with customers, Inside Sales, Operations, and the Sales Manager.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Previous outside sales experience required in the business-to-business market.
- Excellent presentation skills as well as excellent communication skills – both oral and written.
- Ability to present technical product information.
- Strong listening skills and technical aptitude.
- Strong experience building relationships with and selling to senior-level managers, owners, contract sellers, and buying decision makers.
- Comfortable with and proven success with customer visits.
- Understand the sales process; comfortable with call planning and reporting.
- Understand the activities that are revenue generating and non-revenue generating.
- Have met or exceeded sales targets.
- Strong negotiation, problem-solving, and deal structuring skills.
- Maintain positive and enthusiastic attitude even in adverse situations.
- Building industry or trade experience is preferred.
- High level understanding of construction and building methods is preferred.
- Good computer skills; very comfortable with Excel, Word, Outlook.
- Excellent English communication skills at a capacity to influence sales, in person and over the phone, with customers at various levels.
- Write emails, letters, and sale documents in a professional manner.
- Valid Canadian driver’s license with a clean driving record. Maintaining a clean driving record is a condition of employment.
- Must be in possession of a valid passport to travel to the United States.
- Able to lift up to 50 pounds or 23 kilos occasionally to refresh and maintain product displays in retail stores.
- High school diploma is a minimum requirement.
- Formal sales training is required.
- Post secondary education in business or building industry is preferred.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
- Base salary
- Corporate and regional annual incentive plan
- Group pension plan
- Health benefits
- Company car
Travel: 80% daily travel (driving) within the territory with occasional overnight stays
Employment Status: Full-time, year round
Work Location: Based in Acton, Ontario
CanWel welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
Applicants must be legally entitled to work in Canada without sponsorship.
We thank you for your interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
- Outside Sales: 3 years (Preferred)