100 King Street West
Job Family Group:
Commercial Sales & Service
Thank you for your interest in BMO Financial Group. We are currently working towards providing a better candidate experience by including all of our job descriptions in both English and French. In the meantime, if this role is located in Quebec and/or New Brunswick please reference the French job description available below the English version. Otherwise please see the job description below in English as per federal language requirements.
The Managing Director, BMOCP is accountable for all aspects of origination, structuring, negotiation, closing and monitoring of the full suite of BMO Capital Partner products and services to fulfill client expectations ensuring continued growth of the BMO Bank of Montreal subordinated/mezzanine debt and private equity portfolio. This role will be accountable to lead a team focused on assisting new and existing clients in dealing with investment banking needs. The Managing Director BMOCP is accountable to provide credible, professional advice on the complex and high risk requirements of existing, new and potential clients primarily in the mid-market and private equity world. In assessing equity transactions, the incumbent would target established companies that need liquidity to realize an acquisition or expansion, or are being purchased by a new owner. He/She would undertake detailed assessments of the market and business, its relative position and competitors, determine the critical success factors the associated risks and exposures, perform detailed modeling to ensure there is a complete understanding of cost and liquidity structure, detailed downside and stress analysis, realistic expectations with respect to growth and earnings expectations as well as likely exit multiples and timing, management strength, purchase and investment price benchmarked against public or acquisition related multiples.
Business Delivery and Operational Effectiveness:
Sales and Service:
- Respond to referrals from other CFD or P&C Canada partners providing specialized sub debt products and services to BMO clients and prospects.
- Act as subject matter expert providing professional advice to senior executive officers of companies relating to subordinated debt products and services.
- Apply relationship management and relationship expansion strategy and performance to current and potential BMO and non-BMO clients, ensuring comprehensive, targeted financial solutions.
- Liaise with internal Corporate Finance Division and other P&C Canada partners to ensure client interactions and relationship building is top priority.
- Understand and adhere to investment banking policies relative to quality and verification of information, analysis, profitability and recommendations, executing sale of products and services to corporate clients and prospects as defined.
- Plan, implement and maintain an effective business development and community involvement strategy to expand and protect share of profitable corporate clients, utilizing an extensive network of referral resources.
- Take an equity stake in the clients organizational structure ensuring proactive involvement and achievement of the reduction of risk exposure inherent in equity investment transactions.
- Provide professionally packaged advice and solutions to corporate clients and prospects to fulfill client needs and generate revenue for BMO.
- Be highly visible in the marketplace to proactively, and with a long-term focus, develop an internal and external network of referral sources that effectively generates prospects for new mandates. This will include maintaining extensive business and industry knowledge.
- Lead the Deal Team throughout the proposal phase facilitating the development of effective working relationships between the clients, and appropriate CFD personnel.
- Apply resourceful business management and advisory skills, practices and techniques, to support the achievement of target level mandates which are high in complexity and of strategic importance to clients and/or organizations.
- Maintain an accurate awareness of transactions that have occurred in the marketplace and trends that are developing in the investment banking industry, to ensure industry knowledge is current.
- Protect the Banks assets and maintain portfolio quality by adhering to bank policies & procedures, legal and ethical requirements and regulations, audit requirements, and established risk guidelines. Ensure all aspects of Corporate Finance business is in conformity with Bank Policies and prescribed guidelines
- Ensure that accurate comprehensive investigation; analysis and due diligence is conducted in the documentation of acceptable BMOCC transactions.
- Manage risk and minimize losses by ensuring compliance requirements, audits, and verifications are completed in accordance with Bank Policies & Procedures and all legal, regulatory and ethical requirements
- Maintain up-to-date knowledge and understanding of sub debt products, processes, and relevant legal, regulatory and technology requirements through audits and quality checks, to ensure decisions are adequately documented, and clearly communicated.
- Adhere to Know Your Client Rules and Bank Policies & Procedures for the prevention of loss due to fraud, counterfeiting, money laundering, or defalcation; identify and report suspicious and other reportable transactions or patterns of activity that are suspected to be related to money laundering.
- Develop, implement, review and revise a 1 2 year business plan, having appropriate involvement with Deal Teams for existing clients, focusing on identifying BMOCP opportunities.
- Develop and co-ordinate individual relationship planning, implementation and review activities with key BMO Partner Groups, identifying opportunities to ensure clients needs and expectations are profitably met and/or exceeded and risk is kept at an acceptable level.
- Establish goals, plans and assignments for each subordinate to provide consistent processes are presented and workflows are seamless.
- Investigate, recommend &/or implement changes to systems, procedures, products and/or people to maximize efficiencies and consistent workflows
- Review progress to plan/strategy, and develop, communicate, delegate and actively participate in the implementation of actions necessary to correct internal and external issues. Escalate significant issues to the Vice President BMOCC/FAS.
- Determine and deploy equipment, processes and human resources, and optimize the allocation of resources within the unit.
- Develop, implement and review a plan to complete all assigned tasks in a timely manner to acceptable quality standards and in accordance with bank guidelines.
- Set appropriate context and establish prescribed limits for subordinates, including setting an effective framework of policies and procedures for the work in the group.
- Establish a two-way working relationship with subordinates to solicit their views on the working environment, potential changes affecting their work, continuous improvement opportunities, and revisions to the workflow processes as appropriate.
- Build, and sustain a team of subordinates who are capable of delivering the performance required for optimum effectiveness, workflow consistency and targeted regulatory and financial corporate governance within the BMOCP area. This includes coaching, mentoring, regular assessments and the creation and implementation of training and development plans.
- Establish and optimize regional team integration by articulating the linkages between the accountabilities and authorities of different roles across the group and by establishing the context in which they will work collaboratively with one another.
- Apply the Banks performance management system to subordinates, including establishing goals and objectives, assessing skilled knowledge gaps, allocating resources to achieve objectives and close gaps, assessing personal effectiveness, and reviewing and recommending base and variable pay.
- Ensure the effective implementation of National Corporate Finance initiatives/programs and/or process changes through clear communication and appropriate context setting.
- Develop and execute the development plans for individuals, identifying ongoing performance issues and take appropriate actions.
- Assess effectiveness of development plans and make adjustments as appropriate
- In-depth knowledge of mezzanine finance and private equity industry
- 10+years of relevant experience in negotiating and structuring financial transactions.
- Minimum of 10 years of financial services industry experience in a corporate lending environment with solid achievements in developing business.
- Experience with complex credit transactions including Cross border, Syndication, and Capital Markets, Equity and Subordinated Debt.
- Excellent knowledge of the banks financial solution products and services.
- Credit Qualified with Limits (in depth) Sub Debt, Equity and Risk Based Limits
- In-depth understanding of Financing Guidelines, Commercial Lending Process, and supporting processes and technology
- Education- CA/MBA/CFA
Were here to help
At BMO we have a shared purpose; we put the customer at the centre of everything we do helping people is in our DNA. For 200 years we have thought about the future of our customers, our communities and our people. We help our customers and our communities by working together, innovating and pushing boundaries to bring them our very best every day. Together were changing the way people think about a bank.
As a member of the BMO team you are valued, respected and heard, and you have more ways to grow and make an impact. We strive to help you make an impact from day one for yourself and our customers. Well support you with the tools and resources you need to reach new milestones, as you help our customers reach theirs. From in-depth training and coaching, to manager support and network- building opportunities, well help you gain valuable experience, and broaden your skillset.
To find out more visit us at https://bmocareers.com .
BMO is committed to an inclusive, equitable and accessible workplace. By learning from each others differences, we gain strength through our people and our perspectives. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. To request accommodation, please contact your recruiter.
We’re here to help
At BMO we are driven by a shared Purpose:
Boldly Grow the Good in business and life. It calls on us to create lasting, positive change for our customers, our communities and our people. By working together, innovating and pushing boundaries, we transform lives and businesses, and power economic growth around the world.
As a member of the BMO team you are valued, respected and heard, and you have more ways to grow and make an impact. We strive to help you make an impact from day one – for yourself and our customers. We’ll support you with the tools and resources you need to reach new milestones, as you help our customers reach theirs. From in-depth training and coaching, to manager support and network-building opportunities, we’ll help you gain valuable experience, and broaden your skillset.
To find out more visit us at https://bmocareers.com .
BMO is committed to an inclusive, equitable and accessible workplace. By learning from each other’s differences, we gain strength through our people and our perspectives. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. To request accommodation, please contact your recruiter.