Head Quartered in Calgary Alberta, Dominion Diamond Mines is a Canadian diamond mining company with ownership interests in two major producing diamond mines situated approximately 200 kilometers south of the Arctic Circle in Canada’s Northwest Territories. The Company operates the Ekati Diamond Mine, in which it owns a controlling interest, and owns 40% of the Diavik Diamond Mine. It supplies rough diamonds to the global market through its sorting and selling operations in Canada, Belgium and India and is Canada’s largest independent diamond producer.
The Company maximizes the sales value of its rough stones from the Diavik and Ekati Diamond Mines and maintains a preferred position as a supplier of rough diamonds to the world’s diamond manufacturers (cutters and polishers) by dealing directly with them and tailoring rough diamond parcels to the client’s particular needs.
Reporting to the Head of Human Resources & Corporate Communications, and working a Monday – Friday (40 hr./wk.) schedule at the Corporate Office, the Senior/ Pension & Benefits Advisor is responsible for the administration, education and communication of Dominions various pension and benefits plans, for 600+ employees in Canada and Internationally. The incumbent will also be responsible for identifying and supporting the development, implementation of best-in-class Pension, Group Benefits and Disability Management programs to help achieve corporate and HR strategic objectives. The position requires a demonstrated ability to handle, update and maintain sensitive information in a confidential, timely, and professional manner.
This position will be permanently based in Calgary, AB. Travel to the Ekati mine site may be requirement based on business need.
- Responsible for the overall administration of benefit programs for all Dominion locations including day-to-day administration of benefit and pension plans including, recordkeeping, auditing, reconciliations, and employee communication.
- Establish and maintain strong relationships with third party consultants and carriers; works with partners to resolve claim, coverage and service issues, and ensure billing accuracy and payment
- Maintain an understanding of applicable legislation and Company policy impacting the pay and benefit functions.
- Work in conjunction with HR and Senior Management team to review and update policies, benefit and retirement service provider selection and management of current providers, and support pension committee including acting as Retirement Advisory Committee (RAC) Secretary.
- Respond to enquiries from employees and managers related to collective agreement and policy interpretation, related to pension, benefit and disability management questions
- Maintains a thorough understanding of benefits design and practices
- Facilitate the development and delivery of information publications and educational programs to enhance employee knowledge of benefit and retirement plans, coordinate annual retirement plan information sessions.
- Conducts annual program review; recommends and implements improvements to pension and retirement processes in support of providing effective employee, HR and Manager experience
- Coordinate year-end activities including pension statements, and Regulatory filings with CRA and OSFI (Annual Information Returns, Pension Adjustments, etc.).
- Prepares benefits reports for service providers for eligibility and renewal purposes
- Works with internal contacts and service providers to resolve Disability Management claims, coverage and services issues; finds solutions and provided recommendations for sensitive one-off situation
- Works collaborative with HR, Payroll and employees as a subject matter expert on all elements of benefit and retirement programs
- Record and track Company extended loans (e.g. mortgage assistance)
- An Undergraduate Degree in Human Resources, Business Administration, Commerce or equivalent
- Certified Employee Benefits Specialist (CEBS)Designation
- Minimum of 5-7 years of relevant experience administering group benefit and pension plans
- 2-3 years of SAP and/or specific software experience related to area of specialization
- Previous experience with international benefits programs considered an asset
- Expert knowledge of benefits and pension theory and practice, with ability to use judgement in applying this knowledge when dealing with complex and confidential issues
- Highly developed problem-solving ability and critical thinking skills
- Strong Knowledge of Pension Plan Legislation, and regulations concerning insurance and employee benefits
- Strong ability to collaboration with internal clients and external vendors to achieve the best results and deliver the most value
- Excellent organizational, communication and interpersonal skills
- Excellent knowledge of Canadian Human Rights Act, and Employment Standard (AB, NWT)
We offer an excellent compensation and comprehensive benefits program.
Dominion Diamond Mines is committed to Employee Equity, supports diversity in the workplace and encourages applications from all qualified individuals. Preference will be given to qualified applicants from DDC Impact Benefit Agreement Groups. Members should clearly identify their IBA status on the online job application and resume, to receive priority consideration.
For information about the beautiful region in which our mines are located visit www.spectacularnwt.com.
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
Salary: $85,000.00 to $95,000.00 /year
- Pension and Benefits: 5 years (Preferred)