Reporting /working relationships
The primary responsibility of this position is to oversee and maintain the physical condition of any property occupied by entities associated with Le Cordon Bleu Ottawa. The incumbent is expected to work closely with the teaching and administrative staff of Le Cordon Bleu Ottawa and Signatures Restaurant and assumes responsibility for the preventive maintenance of all machines, equipment, and facility-based projects and works. Under the direction of senior management, the incumbent will also source, schedule and oversee projects completed by external contractors, and will be required to complete detailed reports on all work completed.
The ideal candidate will have a trade card, engineering technician or equivalent training and professional experience in one or more of the following areas; plumbing, electrical, HVAC, general building maintenance and general renovations. The incumbent should have previous experience with the Ontario Fire Code and, Ontario Building Code, and should have a minimum of three to five years of experience performing or overseeing preventative maintenance of heating and cooling mechanical systems, and industrial kitchen equipment. Previous experience working with heritage buildings would be considered an asset.
The incumbent will be required to act independently and is expected to advise senior management on costing, scheduling and completing required repairs and maintenance on the building and its equipment. The incumbent will maintain a flexible work schedule and will be expected to coordinate the response to alarms and crisis situations remotely or in person as needed.
While performing the duties of this job, the incumbent is regularly required to stand; walk; reach with hands and arms; sit; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl; and taste or smell. The incumbent must frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, distance vision, colour vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus. The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an incumbent encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the incumbent is regularly exposed to mechanical parts and may be frequently exposed to risk of electrical shock. The incumbent will occasionally be exposed to humid conditions; high precarious places; fumes or airborne particles; toxic or caustic chemicals. This position may be exposed to adverse weather conditions and extremely low temperatures.
Primary roles and responsibilities:
- Collaborate with the Building Maintenance Coordinator to complete day to day maintenance of the property:
- Complete or oversee electrical and mechanical maintenance
- Responsible for repairs and maintenance to all kitchen equipment including stoves, ovens, fridges and dishwashers as needed.
- Responsible for refrigeration in coolers, freezers, glass washers and ice machines.
- Repairs and installs plumbing to kitchen equipment. Performs general electrical tasks in reference to equipment components
- Perform repairs to and service air units, air fans, exhaust fans, HVAC and small appliance repair as required.
- Monitor the preventive maintenance program and provide detailed reports to senior management.
- Utilize the SharePoint platform to maintain tickets as required;
- Log items into a priority sequence;
- Track status of outstanding items
- Provide detailed reports on the status and cost of all work completed by Le Cordon Bleu Ottawa maintenance staff and external contractors
- Update trade work schedule
- Update personal, subordinate and team schedules to ensure that regular and unscheduled emergency repairs and maintenance are completed efficiently.
- Forward verbal requests into the system while maintaining a detailed log of the staff or teams requesting assistance, and the ultimate resolution of each request.
- Coordinate and oversee work required by external contractors
- Respond to emergencies on site and facilitate the coordination of external contractors if unavailable. Provide management with an up to date list of who to call when not onsite
- Supervise sub-contractors completing work onsite.
- Control building access securities
- Manage key and code distribution controls in consultation with the IT
- Share on call responsibilities and respond to emergencies related to equipment failure, building maintenance issues and alarms as needed.
- Reporting and Documentation
- Produce and execute daily, weekly, and monthly checklist for the building
- Produce a daily report of the work completed
- Inform management and obtain appropriate required approvals of all major work happening on the property;
- Obtain bids and quotes for capital projects
- Coordinate fire safety plans, drills and equipment and monitor compliance
- Escort ministry representatives or public office officials when onsite.
- Ensure that machines on the roof have clear access.
- Maintain a proper inventory of tools required for maintenance work
- Other duties as assigned by management
- Professional and ethical behaviour; demonstrates integrity, credibility, confidentiality, and responsibility in all interactions. Hands-on, flexible and adaptive attitude.
- Administrative skills; provides leadership to and ensures accountability for achievement for results; very focused; strong organizational skills. Able to work effectively with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community.
- Communication skills; possesses strong communication skills, both verbal, written and expresses thoughts in an organised, concise manner.
- Relationship management; ability to build constructive and effective relationships with a broad and diverse group of Le Cordon Bleu’s employees.
- Market knowledge; continuously seeks to stay current and be at the leading edge in his/her field and is committed to continuous learning.
- Flexibility; can act in a climate of change, entrepreneurship and a family owned business cultured. Handle stress and demands in a calm thoughtful matter with the ability to prioritize, monitor and control operations. Is diplomatic and tactful; non-confrontational; recognized internal and external sensitivities.
- Minimum of three to five years of experience as a service or maintenance technician preferred.
- Trade card or equivalent experience with preventive maintenance programs.
- Certification or previous experience with plumbing, electrical, painting, HVAC, drywall plastering, floor coverings/finishing, gardening, landscaping, and all types of general renovations considered an asset.
- Considerable knowledge of business processes, management, and production operations.
- Excellent understanding of project management principles and previous experience in the management of medium sized projects preferred.
- Proven ability to set and manage priorities in both normal and crisis situations required.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills required. Strong interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to communicate clearly from the technical level to executive management considered an asset.
Le Cordon Bleu combines innovation and creativity with tradition through its certificates, diplomas and bachelors and master degrees, including an online degree in gastronomic tourism. Over the last century Le Cordon Bleu has seen revolutionizing change as we have evolved from a Parisian cooking school to an international network of culinary arts and hospitality institutes. Our philosophy of achieving excellence through constant practice and refinement remains the same, even as we grow to meet the needs of the contemporary culinary and hospitality industries.
While our focus at Le Cordon Bleu is higher education, we have taken special interest in the public realm as well. We offer many fine restaurants as well as numerous bakeries and coffee shops under the Le Cordon Bleu trademark. In addition, we have expanded our activities to include various educational media such as culinary publications, instructional videos, TV series, cooking equipment and such more. Our privileged partnership and articulation agreements with various governments, universities, and culinary associations have allowed us to promote French Art de Vivre worldwide.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $50,000.00 to $60,000.00 /year
- Facilities Management: 3 years (Preferred)
- plumbing, electrical, or HVAC: 3 years (Preferred)
- plumbing, electrical, or HVAC (Preferred)
- English (Required)
- French (Preferred)