The Field Operations Patroller is responsible for 24/7 patrol of the 407 ETR, identifying conditions which may adversely affect the conditions of the highway, the adjacent property and the environment. The Road Patrol has a scheduled shift covering 24/7 and is the representative of 407 ETR directing maintenance operations and responding to emergencies, outside regular office hours the patroller is working without direct supervision and must be self-motivated and able to make good decisions and know when to escalate to Supervisory staff.
The Patroller ensures adherence to the Maintenance Quality Standards and policies for both summer and winter maintenance operations. During winter the field operations patroller is also responsible for assessing road conditions and has primary responsibility for directing winter maintenance operations. This includes identifying the need, where, when, how and how often maintenance equipment and materials winter are required.
Respond and provide support to police and emergency services for incident response as well as motorist assistance for stranded motorists. Also required to provide traffic control, inspect hwy assets, contract administration and inspection duties as well as other duties as assigned.
- Manager, Highway Operations
- Supervisors, Roadway Operations
- Manager, Hwy Engineering Services
- Manager, Structures and Drainage
- Drive Patrol Vehicle to patrol highway corridor assessing road conditions and determining actions needed. Take action and / or direct action as appropriate
- Conduct annual inspections and review of conditions of roadway and highway assets to meet optimal requirements
- Respond to and assist in the co-ordination of incident response and emergency situations such as collisions, traffic control and debris in live lanes.
- Coordinate and direct winter maintenance operations
- Required to work in all weather conditions both in and out of vehicle
- Collection and Documentation of Incident data related to highway damage
- Install and Remove Traffic Control and lane closures per Ontario Traffic Manual Book 7
- Assist Motorist with mechanical or other difficulties
- Other duties as assigned
- Demonstrated knowledge of road repair/maintenance summer and winter procedures, contract administration and inspection, maintenance related acts/regulations.
- Demonstrated experience using computers/applications.
- Experienced in pavement inspection and design.
- Ability to work independently and with others with little supervision.
- Working knowledge of the Occupational Health and Safety Act and the Ontario Traffic Manual (Book 7)
- Demonstrated interpersonal and communication skills are required (oral and written)
- Ability to make decisions quickly under pressure.
- Valid Class DZ drivers licence.
- Good Knowledge of GTA freeways and surrounding arterial roadways
- Shift work required
- Position requires driving and directing winter Operations during winter storms
- Other duties as assigned
This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Employee may perform other related duties as negotiated to meet the ongoing needs of the organization.
Accommodations for disabilities or other grounds protected by human rights legislation are available upon request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the employment selection process.