LOCATION: Selkirk Seniors Village
Are you looking for competitive wages, a positive and supportive team, a comfortable break room with free coffee and WIFI?
Does the potential of finding permanent full-time and part-time employment with benefits (Municipal Pension Plan, Medical, Dental, etc.) sound like a pathway you’d like to work towards?
Do you feel the need to break away from the instability of a la carte cooking and step into a more institutional, planned approach of batch preparation?
We also offer opportunities to work between various locations in the Victoria area.
Working under the supervision of the Support Service Manager, Supervisor and working cooperatively with other employees, the cook performs duties such as planning cooking schedule, preparing, storing and serving menu items, ordering/ receiving supplies and other duties as assigned to meet the goals and objectives of the organization within the mission, vision, values and strategic directions of the organization. Performs duties following policies and procedures and ensures safety for residents/patients and staff. Cooks participate in continuous quality improvement of the services provided.
Includes but not limited to:
- Prepares all aspects of meal and nourishments including therapeutic diets as required as well as extra cooking and baking for special events and meals.
- Controls portioning of food items to ensure recipe yield meets assigned quantity quotas.
- Organizes own daily food preparation work schedule and prepares for following day’s meals.
- Organizes own cooking schedule: prepares assigned food items by following established menus, recipes and quantity quotas, determining ingredients and quantities required and assembling ingredients by weighing and measuring food; assembles equipment required for cooking
- Cooks and seasons assigned food and therapeutic diet items such as soups, sauces, salads, starches, meats, fish, poultry, vegetables and desserts by methods/procedures such as roasting, frying, grilling, steaming, poaching, boiling, baking and bulk re-thermalization; tests food items for palatability and temperature and adjusts accordingly.
- Carves food items such as meat and poultry and controls portioning of food items to ensure recipe yield meets assigned quantity quotas.
- Operates and cleans equipment, including grinder, meat slicer, food processor, convection oven, range, mixer, blender, steamer, etc. Reports any broken equipment to supervisor.
- Completes other assigned cleaning duties as per weekly cleaning schedule.
- Maintains established food rotations in storage in order to minimize spoilage and waste
- Receives, checks orders and stores supplies. Ensures all incoming orders are correct and of good quality. Informs supervisor of discrepancies.
- Assigns tasks to designated Food Service Workers
- Monitors safety in the residents living environment and staff working environment
- Reports risks, hazards, near misses, unsafe situations, incidents and accidents to Supervisor / Manager/ Designate
- All assignments required to meet the operational needs of the organization.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Graduation from a recognized program in cooking or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
- Food Safe Certificate
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to deal with others effectively
- Physical ability to carry out the duties of the position.
Job Type: Casual
Salary: $19.14 /hour
- WHMIS (Required)
- HACCP (Required)
- Food Safe (Required)