Central City is a craft brewery in the business of developing and selling international award-winning premium craft beer and high-quality distilled spirits brewed without compromise. Based in Surrey, British Columbia, CCBD was voted Canada Best Brewery of the Year in 2010 and 2012. Its Red Racer brand has become a cult icon among craft beer enthusiasts throughout North America. Founded in 2003 as a brewpub and liquor store in downtown Surrey, CCBD celebrated its 10th anniversary in 2013 with the grand opening of a brand new, 68,000 sq. ft brewery and distillery on Bridgeview Drive. It opened a second restaurant in downtown Vancouver, Red Racer Restaurant on Beatty Street in 2015.
The Head Chef will oversee the back of house operations in the Food & Beverage Department and is responsible for ensuring cuisine is prepared in a consistent manner, with a high level of quality.
Reporting to the General Manager, the Head Chef directs and works with the Food & Beverage management team and Associates to successfully execute all kitchen operations; strives to continually improve customer and Associate satisfaction and maximize the financial performance in areas of responsibility; lead research and develop new menu items with assistance of Sous Chefs; and coach and develop back of the house Associates.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Ensure compliance with all Food & Beverage policies, standards and procedures.
- Actively involved in training kitchen Associates on the fundamentals of excellent cooking and plate presentations.
- Ensures compliance with food handling and sanitation standards.
- Ensures compliance with all local, provincial and federal regulations.
- Maintains purchasing, receiving and food storage standards.
- Estimates daily production needs on a weekly basis and communicates production needs to kitchen personnel daily.
- Researches and tests new food products; shares vision of food and concept trends in conjunction with Company initiatives.
- Conducts briefings with Associates for education on menu items including ingredients, preparation methods and unique tastes.
- Accountable for all food safety systems to comply with Food Safety Regulations.
- Uphold all policies and procedures.
- Displays leadership in guest hospitality, exemplifies excellent customer service and creates a positive atmosphere for guest relations.
- Interacts with guests to obtain feedback on product quality and service levels; effectively responds to and handles guest problems and complaints.
- Ensures Associates receive on-going training to understand guest expectations.
- Review findings, guest satisfaction results and other data to identify areas of improvements.
- Hires, develops and retains a diverse workforce to deliver excellent products and services.
- Creates and sustains a work environment that focuses on fair and equitable treatment and Associate satisfaction to enable business success.
- Responsible for supervising, documenting and coaching all Associates under your direct supervision to ensure they are adhering to the company customer service standards.
Sales and Revenue Management
- Assist in developing and generating annual sales.
- Meets regularly with customers and restaurant guests to gather feedback.
- Is involved in all menu development.
- Manages areas of operation to budget by reviewing operating statements, budget worksheets, and payroll progress reports.
- Participates in the development of department capital expenditure goals; manages projects as needed.
- Participates in the budgeting process for areas of responsibility.
- Manages department controllable expenses including food cost, supplies, uniforms and equipment.
- Performs other duties as assigned to meet business needs.
KEY WORKING RELATIONSHIPS
The Head Chef will report to the Food & Beverage Director and work closely with the entire Food & Beverage team.
DECISION MAKING ABILITY
The Head Chef is expected to report on all events that could have a negative effect on the operations or reputation of the Food & Beverage Department. The activities and authority of the Head Chef is guided by the Central City Brewers and Distillers Visions and Values.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- Food Safe Certified.
- Minimum of 5 years Food & Beverage culinary management experience with demonstrated leadership.
- Culinary education required.
- Experience successfully handling a diverse group of Associates.
- Excellent culinary skills; possesses the ability to perform all functions in the culinary operation.
- Extensive knowledge of food handling and sanitation standards.
- Experience in menu composition.
- Must have excellent interpersonal skills and communication skills.
- Red Seal Certificate an asset.
Work with modern appliances and other technical equipment. Must withstand the pressure and strain of working in close quarters, standing for hours at a time, lifting heavy items and maintain caution of potential workplace safety hazards.
Job Type: Full-time
- Food & Beverage Culinary: 5 years (Preferred)