Thresholds Homes and Supports Inc. is a community-based agency that promotes recovery and improved quality of life for people who are experiencing mental health and addiction issues by providing affordable housing and individualized, flexible support services through our wide-ranging programs offered throughout Waterloo Region and Wellington County. Our staff are committed and passionate about what they do, and take pride in the difference they make in our community. Our values include PERSON-FOCUSED, HOPE, RECOVERY, SELF-DETERMINATION, QUALITY OF LIFE, INTEGRITY and COLLABORATION. We also take time to recognize each other and have fun!
We are currently seeking Relief, Life Skills Workers in the following areas of our organization:
Housing Support Services, Kitchener/Cambridge
Extraordinary Needs Program, Kitchener
Dean and Grange Street Residential Programs, Guelph
SUMMARY OF THE POSITIONS:
Relief Life Skills Workers are part of a team supporting people who live in our group homes and are experiencing mental health and addiction issues to enable them to fulfill their goals identified in their individualized support plan. Relief Life Skill Workers provide support for the individuals we serve in the areas of supportive counseling, crisis intervention and prevention, skills development (life skills, social skills, interpersonal and problem solving skills) and vocational leisure support. In addition, the Relief Life Skills Worker may assist and/or provide practical support with cooking, cleaning, laundry, personal hygiene, medication support, financial management and budgeting. The Relief Life Skills Workers work within the various Thresholds residential group home environments in Kitchener and Guelph.
HOURS OF WORK:
The Relief Worker is a casual position with regularly scheduled weekend shifts. We are seeking individuals with weekend availability for days, evenings, and overnight (awake) shifts. Relief Workers rotations guarantee 1 to 2 shifts per week. This position is also available for additional short notice and public holiday shifts, subject to program specific minimum requirements.
· Minimum of a relevant University Degree or College Health Sciences/Social Services Diploma. Candidates with Degrees/Diplomas in progress will be considered (students are welcome to apply).
· 1-2 years of experience working with individuals with mental health and/or addiction concerns.
· Excellent organizational, oral and written communications skills.
· Demonstrated ability to respect rights and personal preference in treatment, rehabilitation and support including the Recovery Model.
· Ability to work independently or as part of a team and work a variety of all shifts.
· Working knowledge of the Mental Health Act.
· Obvious passion for community-based mental health and social services.
· Proficient computer skills including MS Office Suite (Word, Excel, Outlook).
· Has a valid G-Class driver’s license and insurance, personal transportation
· Ability to provide a current and satisfactory Police Vulnerable Sector Check.
· Additional qualifications such as NVCI, ASIST, First Aid, suicide prevention and CPR would also be an asset.
· Building rapport, assessment, crisis de-escalation, conflict management, professionalism
If you are interested in this position, please send your cover letter and resume noting in the subject line “Posting No. 20-04-018 Relief Worker” directly to the Human Resources email provided.
Thresholds Homes and Supports welcome and encourage applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
Job Types: Part-time, Casual, Permanent