-- Research Assistant, Laboratory --
BC Centre for Excellence in HIV/AIDS (BC-CfE)
Please note: Only Canadian Citizens, legal residents or residents with a legal work permit will be considered.
STATUS: This is a 2 year temporary full-time position with a possibility of extension.
JOB START DATE: As soon as possible
SALARY: Commensurate with qualifications and experience
LOCATION: BC Centre for Excellence in HIV/AIDS (BC-CfE), Vancouver, BC
BENEFITS: Employee benefits include medical and dental coverage as well as accrued vacation and sick time.
ORGANIZATION: The BC-CfE is a world renowned HIV/AIDS Research Centre including Research Laboratory, Clinical Trials, Drug Treatment Program, Epidemiology and Professional Education Programs. The BC-CfE currently employs a team of Clinicians, Statisticians, Programmers, Data Analysts, Clinical Research Assistants and Data Entry Clerks who work collaboratively to deliver patient care and conduct cohort-based epidemiological and clinical studies.
POSITION: The Research Assistant, Laboratory conducts analytical chemistry procedures that produce investigational test results in support of the BC-CfE’s Therapeutic Drug Monitoring (TDM) program and performs specimen accessioning and processing in support of research studies and/or clinical trials operated through the BC-CfE Research Laboratory. Duties include handling specimens, performing laboratory procedures, adhering to policies and procedures, quality assurance and control standards, and record keeping and safety requirements.
- Perform laboratory procedures including antiretroviral drug level measurement by Liquid Chromatography - Tandem Mass Spectrometry (LC-MSMS) equipment to produce reportable results to clinicians or researchers.
- Participate in the development and validation of new LC-MSMS methods including evaluating new equipment and products and contributing to technical reports and summaries.
- Keep appropriate records, run controls, collect control data and document problems or potential problems with procedures and equipment.
- Contribute to research projects by collecting LC-MSMS data, participate in the interpretation and/or analysis of data, and assist in the drafting of research reports.
- Accession, process and ship specimens for storage and further testing in support of clinical trials and research protocols.
- Participate in establishing laboratory protocols for proposed studies.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- BSc degree from an accredited post-secondary institution in a relevant field. General or Analytical Chemistry concentration preferred.
- Two (2) years laboratory experience, including operating Liquid Chromatography- Tandem Mass Spectrometry (LC-MSMS) equipment.
Skills and Abilities
- Strong understanding of analytical chemistry concepts and techniques.
- Strong analytical and reasoning skills.
- Demonstrated ability to troubleshoot non-conforming laboratory procedures and equipment.
- Understanding of LC-MSMS assay and experiment design, equipment troubleshooting and maintenance.
- Strong knowledge of laboratory safety practices and Universal Blood and Body Fluid Precautions.
- Ability to understand and to meet rigorous quality standards.
- Ability to handle several ongoing projects simultaneously and keep accurate and complete research records.
- Proven ability to concentrate for extended periods of time (i.e. up to 4 hours at a time) due to the complexity of testing.
- Ability to work independently and in collaboration with others.
- Ability to communicate effective both verbally and in writing.
- Demonstrated ability to organize work, multitask, and prioritize workload.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Demonstrated ability to maintain strict confidentiality.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Open until filled
Job Types: Full-time, Temporary