As a member of our Contract Administration Group, you will be responsible for field inspection assignments for various construction site projects at different area field office locations. we are seeking a Senior Inspector with previous Road Construction experience to join our team in Barrie, Ontario. This individual will be responsible for field inspection for various construction projects in a variety of locations.
· Provide oversight on construction activities in the field, inspecting construction work as it’s undertaken to ensure compliance with the MTO Construction Administration Inspection Task Manual (CAITM) or similar/equivalent municipal document, construction documents, applicable quality standards (OPSS, SP, NSSP) and the Ontario Health and Safety regulations.
· Review and interpret construction drawings and specifications in relation to construction contract details.
· Work in field offices, verify quantities, prepare progress reports and maintain appropriate documentation and records relative to construction progress onsite.
· Ensure inspection tasks and contractor daily activities are completed and recorded promptly and accurately.
· Identify contractual and regulatory infractions and work with project teams to find appropriate resolutions.
· Carry-out senior level survey work required and calculate quantities by horizontal and vertical methods of measurement, for contractor accuracy and payment.
· Liaise and maintain effective communication with clients, contractors and other consultants
· Oversee, advise and educate junior level field staff.
· Travel and work on contracts throughout Ontario for the potential of lengthy periods at a time.
· A minimum of 3 to 5 years of MTO highway / bridge project experience or working in a similar capacity on municipal and transportation construction projects.
· A university degree or diploma in civil engineering or related discipline.
· Registered or eligible to register for P.Eng. or CET designation a strong asset.
· Certification by OACETT as a Road Construction Senior Inspector (RCSI).
· MTO T131 Advanced Claims & Dispute Resolution course will be considered a major asset.
· Any other similar training courses that the MTO administers will be considered a major asset.
· Ability to work unassisted after being directed by supervisory staff.
· Valid Ontario Class ‘G’ driver’s license with an acceptable driving record.
· Sound knowledge of design standards, specifications and materials associated with construction, laws and regulations including environmental, occupational health and safety requirements and their application in construction contracts.
· Demonstrated experience in highway, freeway and ATMS construction projects particularly with respect to asphalt, grading and structural inspections.
· Effective organizational and problem-solving skills with the ability to effectively influence others and successfully resolve a variety of construction site related issues.
· Excellent written and verbal communication, interpersonal and presentation skills.
· Strong computer skills, including a working knowledge of email (MS Outlook), scheduling (MS Project), word processing (Word) and spreadsheet (Excel) software applications.
· Experience with MTO software WBCMS will be considered as a major asset.
Offers of employment for safety-sensitive positions involving fieldwork are contingent upon candidates being able to perform key physical tasks of the job as described in the job posting and interview. This may include the ability to work in a variety of environmental conditions, such as remote or isolated areas, working alone, and in inclement weather (within safe and reasonable limits).
Job Type: Full-time