This 1.0 FTE position involves working 40 hours per week as a Social Service Worker within the Bancroft Community Family Health Team. The Social Service Worker will collaborate with the Physicians and Interdisciplinary Health Practitioners (IHPs) of the FHT, Addictions & Mental Health, North Hastings Community Trust, and other community services and agencies in the provision of care in our rural community to enhance patient outcomes.
This position will support our range of Harm Reduction programs including the Rural Outpatient Opiate Treatment Program, Rural Outreach Community Kindness, and the Opiate Management Program. It will also work in close collaboration with our Social Workers, support them in client care and act as first point of contact.
· Knowledge and proficiency in current, evidenced-based methods and practices of social service work in primary care settings, with an emphasis on chronic disease management, health promotion and risk reduction
· Knowledge of relevant health care legislation and community mental health resources
· Understanding of social determinants of health and their impact on health and well-being
· Demonstrated ability to work independently and collaboratively as a member of a multidisciplinary team
· Understanding of social support systems, OW, ODSP, Rehab and Detox and ability to assist clients in navigating these systems
· Demonstrated ability to be open and non-judgmental
· Comfort supporting clients navigating bureaucracy
· Effective interpersonal and communication skills (written/verbal)
· Experience supporting Geriatric populations
· Experience supporting people who are experiencing homelessness
· Understanding of the unique experiences and challenges facing people living in rural areas
· Able to travel, do home visits and willing to work some hours outside of business hours.
· Social Service Worker or Addictions Worker Diploma
· Professional or lived experience with substance use, addictions, and/or harm reduction
· Ability to work independently
· Assist clients in the completion of forms as directed by SW or other FHT staff (ODSP, CPP-D, other income supports)
· Provide assistance for clients in accessing housing supports and completing relevant applications
· Triage mental health referrals based on direction from SW
· Support those accessing funding through Veteran Affairs
· Support group therapy, promote, contact clients, set up, materials
· Create and update list of resources (shelters, treatment centres, detox, food banks)
We offer benefits including extended health, dental, and HOOPP.
We thank all interested applicants; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Application deadline: 2020-08-14
Expected start date: 2020-09-08
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
Salary: $53,658.00-$58,658.00 per year