Location: Métis Crossing, Smoky Lake, AB
Closing Date: Until Suitable Candidates Found
Position Status: Full time, Permanent
Since its inception in 1928, the Métis Nation of Alberta (MNA) has governed the Métis within Alberta. The MNA is led by a democratically elected Provincial Council, comprised of a Provincial President, a Vice-President, and six regional Presidents and Vice-Presidents. This Council works toward the mandate of the MNA, supporting practices of transparency, accountability, and inclusiveness for Métis Albertans in governments’ policy and decision-making processes. The MNA promotes and facilitates the advancement of Métis people through self-reliance, self-determination, and self-management. For more information about the MNA, visit http://www.albertametis.com.
Métis Crossing is the first major Métis cultural interpretive center in Alberta. Métis Crossing endeavours to preserve, strengthen, and promote the cultural heritage of Alberta's Metis people. Reflective of our communities and cultural landscapes, programming is based on research, collection, and presentation of Metis traditions, lifeways, and cultural artifacts. We strive to incorporate a continuum of Métis achievement, both historical and contemporary.
Métis Crossing seeks applicants for the position of “Head Chef”. The successful applicants will be responsible for the overall kitchen and daily operations, developing plans, ensuring work quality, and ensuring that safe and sanitary practices are adhered.
- Menu planning and costing, including developing and implementing creative menu items.
- Ensure the consistency in preparation of all food items.
- Monitor and control expenditures related to food and operational costs.
- Maintain back house inventory control levels.
- Develop and implement kitchen standards, policies, and procedures.
- Maintain visible presence to staff and guests and model exceptional customer relations.
- Resolve kitchen issues and provide guidance and direction to kitchen staff.
- Plan and conduct pre-shift staff meetings.
- Schedule staff to meet the needs of Métis Crossing.
- Conduct training, coaching, and performance evaluations of kitchen staff.
- Maintain contact with suppliers and vendors.
- Participate in development of annual budgets.
- Maintain communication with all Métis Crossing staff members.
- Build connections with external organizations.
- Ensure all federally and provincially mandated laws and policies are strictly adhered to.
- Use and wear equipment, devices, and clothing required by Métis Crossing and in compliance with OHS.
- Report any issues or defective equipment.
- Adhere to WHMIS at all times.
Skills & Competencies
- Strong skills with visual presentation of food and contemporary serving styles.
- Strong collaboration skills both with the Kitchen staff and external organizations.
- Strong oral communication and interpersonal skills.
- Experience working with diverse audiences of varying cultural backgrounds and ages.
- Flexibility to adjust to changes in schedule and assignments.
- Attention to details.
- Experience leading a team.
- Strong customer service skills.
- Able to work both independently and with others in a team.
- Experience with Microsoft Office applications.
- Ability to work in a noisy, fast paced, multitasking environment.
- Must be able to lift up to 50 pounds.
- Ability to work in a physical demanding area, including standing for the duration of shifts.
- Red Seal certificate with 5+ years’ experience in a supervisory role in a foodservice operation.
- A Post Secondary education in a recognized Hospitality or Culinary Management program is required.
- Practical hands on knowledge and experience in all facets of food and beverage operations.
- WHMIS, basic First Aid, and Advanced Food Safe Certifications.
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in a foodservice role.
- Knowledge and adherence to safe and sanitary food handling procedures.
- Knowledge of Alberta history and cultural diversity.
- Knowledge of Alberta Métis.
- Availability to work a mixed schedule of days, evenings, and weekends.
- Ability to work at Métis Crossing in Smoky Lake.
- Must provide Criminal Record Check and Vulnerable Sector Check.
- Schedule will be based on a 40 hour work week, and will include weekdays, weekends, and holiday.
- Training available.
- Safe, secure, subsidized accommodations available.
Please apply online at http://albertametis.com/ today!
TheMétis Nation of Alberta thanks all applicants for their interest. Only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please.
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
- Head Chef: 1 year (Preferred)