Main’s Program is designed to accommodate youth that have experienced a history of failure in other programs and group homes in Nanaimo, British Columbia. Our services support youth recovering from adverse childhood experiences (ACEs) and overcoming other adversity by providing them with housing and trauma-based guidance.
We accommodate and support traumatized youth in comfortable and welcoming facilities with twenty four hour staffing. Paired housemates share common areas but each child has his or her own bedroom. We offer a safe environment in a residential and friendly neighbourhood. An open door policy encourages a wandering youth to return at any time.
In Your Role You Will
- Monitor residents through the night and attends to any medical and behavioural needs that arise during the night.
- Follow through on direction regarding specific residents left by the day staff.
- Notify staff of any major problems or emergencies; responds to emergencies according to established policies and procedures.
- Support residents with their morning and evening routines at the beginning and end of shift.
- Ensure residents follow house rules; monitors curfew regulations and reports to appropriate authorities as required.
- Administer medications to residents according to established policy and procedure.
- Ensure logbooks and other documentation such as charts and incident reports are complete.
- Perform light housekeeping duties such as vacuuming, dusting, emptying garbage, cleaning and laundry; perform minor building maintenance such as changing light bulbs; reports maintenance needs to the program manager.
- Comply with policies, procedures and values of the agency, and uses best practices when supporting residents.
- Utilize practices that promote service recipient health, welfare, safety and security; secures the building by arming alarms and locking doors and windows.
- Prepare and assist residents in breakfast preparation.Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
The Awake residential Night Worker (ARNW) for this licensed, accredited agency attends to the health, well-being, safety and security of residents and the program site at night, and provides general, non-specific services to clients as required. This position will be alone during the overnight hours and must feel comfortable working alone, with support from the On-Call Manager, as needed. Maintains a comfortable and clean living environment. This position requires union membership with BCGEU.
- One (1) Full-Time position of 40 hours per week
- Sunday - Thursday 0000-0800
Criminal Record Check/Ministry Check Statement
*** Prior to confirmation of employment all applicants must provide a current (dated within 3 months of hiring date) Criminal Record Check and Ministry Check. These checks can take up to 6 weeks to obtain, please ensure you prepare accordingly.
As An Ideal Candidate You Possess
- Grade 12 education plus certificate or equivalent experience in related human/social service field
- Other combination of education and experience may be considered
- Preference given to those with one year experience operating a licensed home, trauma informed practice, ABA
- Current WCB Occupational First Aid, Level 1 (or ability to obtain within the probation period)
- Ability to use common computer applications required (training provided)
**Successful applicants will be required to participate in MCFD screening prior to confirmed employment with WJS Canada.**
What WJS Canada does
WJS Canada's mission is 'We serve individuals and families with high quality, personalized, and culturally responsive support.' The support we provide for families, emphasizes building relationships to enhance the family's strengths and achieve goals that address their needs for support in areas of struggle. Services are individualized and based on the family's belief that their own internal resources can be strengthened and that other helpful skills can be developed. For more information on WJS, services and career opportunities, visit www.wjscanada.com
While WJS serves individuals in many communities across Canada, this opportunity is in Nanaimo, BC. Nanaimo is located along the eastern shores of Vancouver Island, just over 100km north of Victoria. It is an area surrounded on three sides by spectacular waterfront views. The area is rich with eco-adventures and personality. As the second largest city on Vancouver Island region, Nanaimo offers urban amenities such as fine dining, boutique shopping, community festivals, along with the natural beauty of the area.
Our Employees Enjoy
At WJS Canada, trust, strong connections, innovation and results are the pillars of our mandate. We manage by developing our core strength: our people. We give employees the tools to do the job, developing their competence and their confidence, by conducting training programs to ensure professional development and build skills, employee morale, employee safety, health, loyalty and satisfaction. Developing people includes respecting employees work-life balance through flexible hours, locations and duties. We support our staff with assistance and benefit packages, innovative wellness programs and compassion for the life challenges they face.
For more information on WJS Canada visit our website:
No telephone calls please. Only those candidates selected for an interview will be notified.