The Basic Gist:
We’re not your traditional Mexican place. We just happen to think that tacos are a dish best-served fun, with a side of liquor. Welcome to The Mule, where tacos, tequila, and bourbon come to party.
We are Hamilton's favourite lunch spot, regular late-night haunt and go-to destination for a good drink. Our tacos range from classic Mexican to weird-and-wild-you’ve-gotta-try-this. All of our food is 100% gluten-free and we offer a variety of fare that is sure to satisfy either the most dedicated carnivore or delight your vegetarian and vegan side.
What’s An “Other Bird”?
The Other Bird is a hospitality family that includes The Mule, Paper Crane & ODDS (Hamilton, ON), Burro (Burlington, ON), Hunter & Co. (London, ON), and the boutique Arlington Hotel & Dominion Telegraph Event Centre (Paris, ON).
We are a young, growing and fun-loving company that believes in providing amazing culinary and service experiences.
The front-of-house manager is responsible for ensuring The Mule’s restaurant is always welcoming, competently staffed, and is providing exceptional service to the hungry masses of Hamilton. This position is a ‘working-management position’, meaning there will be a balance of managerial shifts and front-line working shifts on a weekly basis.
- Ensure guests are given prompt, attentive and unobtrusive service at all times.
- Ensure proper front-of-house supervision at all times, and handle any and all complaints or issues that arise in a professional, helpful and friendly manner.
- Participate in the hiring of all FOH staff including servers and hosts, and work with all FOH staff members to be constantly developing and improving, and assist with training and orientation of new team members.
- Assist with FOH scheduling, and monitor day-to-day FOH staffing levels, and effectively adjust labour accordingly.
- Monitor and order for FOH inventory, and adjust ordering needs as necessary.
- Ensure that policies and procedures are followed at all times, including health & safety and steps of service.
- Liaise with the General Manager, Assistant General Manager & Bar Manager as well as BOH Management to ensure effective cooperation and communication at all times.
- Take a proactive role in encouraging teamwork, cooperation, productivity and a positive attitude within the working environment.
- Be able to access and understand all functions of Silverware, and report weekly hours and shift reports as needed.
- At the end of all shifts, assist in completing all necessary daily reports and approving all cashouts.
- Work as part of the FOH team in any position, including bartender, server or host, as needed.
- Assist with facilitating meetings such as regular staff meetings, disciplinary action meetings, annual and probationary reviews.
How Much Work & When:
- 40-44 hours per week
- Must be able to balance weekly schedule based on business needs.
- Must be able to work late-night shifts on a consistent basis.
- Must be able to adjust hours for administrative, social, or other needs outside normal business hours.
In Exchange For Work, We Will Give You:
- Salary, based on experience
- Health & Dental benefits
- Paid vacation time
- The famous (and awesome) Other Bird staff perks.
Ideally, You Have Experience / Education:
- High School Diploma or GED is required
- Diploma in Hospitality Management is an asset
- 4+ years Front-of-House restaurant experience with consistent experience in both bartending and serving is required.
- Front-of-House restaurant management experience is an asset.
- SmartServe certification is required
How to Apply:
So, does this sound like you? If so, please respond with your cover letter and resume. We will contact successful candidates to set up an interview.
We look forward to hearing from you!
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
- Front-of-House restaurant management: 1 year (Preferred)
- Front-of-House restaurant serving: 4 years (Required)
- Front-of-House restaurant bartending: 4 years (Required)
- SmartServe certification (Required)