COMPANY NAME: Maven Consulting Limited
REPORTS TO: Director of Project Delivery
Ready for the next challenge? Do you have experience as the lead project manager for the installation and commissioning of hydroelectric generators? You’ll be delighted to hear about this Project Manager opportunity based in Canada.
The core responsibility of this role is to manage hydroelectric generator overhaul projects in western Canada. As the lead project manager, you will assume responsibility for their successful completion.
The project manager is responsible for the coordination of the project effort; ensuring the successful delivery of the assigned project. The project manager is responsible for accomplishing the stated project objectives, building the project requirements, and managing schedule, budget, scope and quality; within the project constraints. The project manager is responsible to ensure that safety is managed throughout the project in compliance with all applicable safety programs, procedures and plans.
- Ensure project plan is developed, reviewed and approved
- Ensure Engineering plan is developed, reviewed and approved
- Establish stage gate criteria and steer the project through the stage gate process
- Manage the functional and operational project objectives with the sponsor and program manager through the development of the project plans.
- Finalize Project scope based on an approved WBS
- Establish Package Dictionaries for Work Packages / WBS elements
- Coordinates all project activities with the Program goals and objectives.
- Integrates and coordinates project activities with interdependent activities of other projects within the same program.
- Responsible for management of project risk.
- Responsible for implementing the tactical objectives for community relations and industrial relations, as they pertain to the project scope.
- Serves as contractor manager
- Accountable for project reporting.
- Schedule project and construction work package risk assessments monitor and measure risks and corrective actions throughout the project and follow up on the implementation of the mitigation plans as appropriate. Accountable for managing project risk.
- Ensure scheduling of constructability reviews and contract and construction kick-off meetings.
- Periodically participate in field level risk assessments (FLRAs) and job-site inspections during construction.
- Provide first level of approval for project changes.
- Manage the resources of the team to achieve project deliverables, working in conjunction with functional managers in a shared service matrix environment.
- Ensure that project permits are in place, regulatory requirements are achieved, and site facility change control is in place and used appropriately according to site regulation.
- Provide leadership, direction, and integrates the project through the procurement representative, project services, project engineer and construction manager.
- Manage draw down of the contingency allotted in the approved capital cost estimate.
- Manage project change management
- Ensure project close-out is completed
- Ensure effective communication with project sponsor and stakeholders
- It is the expectation of the project manager to travel to sites when required to keep sponsors and stakeholders informed. During construction, a high site presence is expected.
This position will require you to have the following skills to be successful:
- Knowledge of the daily operations of a hydro plant
- Experience with the installation, commissioning, and overhauling of turbine, generator and associated auxiliary equipment
- Ensure contractors quality program at site is effective by coordinating with the contractor’s quality representative, conducting quality surveillance and audits, and reviewing quality plans and records submitted by the contractor
- Develop and maintain effective professional relationships with internal and external colleagues in order to determine relative priorities and to assess the impact of the work on others
- Develop a strong understanding of each contract’s scope/specifications/Issued for Construction
- Review drawings and contractor prepared drawings/submittals to ensure each contractor’s work activities are completed in conformance with the contract and approved work methods.
- Ensure that plans respect standards, guidelines, codes and other regulations
- Ensure all work complies with client specifications and/or industry standards.
- Provide technical direction to other team members, and support the commercial team as required for contract claim analysis and schedule options
- Use construction experience to proactively anticipate, identify and assist with the mitigation of contractor interfaces and/or related construction risks, prepare written construction progress reports, prepare and deliver technical presentations to Project stakeholders/regulators
- Develop, review and sign-off on quality control/assurance documentation relating to the contractor witness and hold points as required by contract documents, IFC drawings and ITPs
- Work safely and efficiently and monitor project team for performance.
- Collaborate with, support, and assist other disciplines like protection and control, electrical, civil, quality management, construction management for efficient implementation of project.
- Lead a project team that includes engineers, construction officers, operations personnel, project managers, safety and environmental professionals and other stakeholders.
- Establish standards for the implementation of the project and monitor progress to ensure the work is carried out in the most cost-effective manner using project management principles.
- Ensure that internal and external resources with appropriate skill sets are provided, monitors work assignments and instructions, provides advice, leadership and guidance to project staff; reviews work in progress and assesses completed work for accuracy, required results and quality assurance.
- Manage implementation of the project within agreed upon scope, timeline and budget.
- Ensure project risks are developed and oversee the implementation of risk mitigation plans.
- Prepare and presents project reports and, at completion, finalizes all financial transactions and complete final reports.
You MUST have the follow qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree of Engineering is a relevant discipline such as Mechanical, Electrical, Civil or equivalent
- Professional Engineer (PENG) in good standing at a Canadian jurisdiction
- 15+ years related experience in the fields of expertise within a hydroelectric utility or similar environment
- 8+ years experience directly in project management
- Project Management Professional Certification (PMP) or equivalent, is preferred
- Good knowledge of other fields sufficient to provide technical coordination and leadership
- Considerable project management knowledge and skills, preferably in delivering capital projects
- Excellent working knowledge of MS Office including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook
- Excellent work knowledge pf Project Management tools such as MS Project, SAP, Primavera P6
- Proven leadership ability
- Knowledge of Safety and Environmental Standards
- Well developed communication, facilitation, negotiation and interpersonal skills in English
- Well developed planning, organizational, analytical and problem-solving skills
- Ability to travel to remote locations for short periods of time, and work in outside construction environment in all weather conditions.
About Maven Consulting Limited
We are a vibrant professional engineering, procurement, and construction management company with an array of industrial experience headquartered in beautiful Vancouver British Columbia.
We recognize that our clients need motivated and capable individuals to provide support to the capital projects they are undertaking, but also that as a part of the wider community we need to do our part to contribute, ensuring a positive future for our fellow citizens.
As MAVENs, meaning trusted expert, for the utility, municipal, and transportation industries, we leverage deep domain expertise helping our clients provide the world with energy and infrastructure to power and move future generations.
In addition to Maven being both BCCSA COR and EGBC OQM certified, we recognize that our clients appreciate our support of the wider community, ensuring a positive future for our fellow citizens. To demonstrate this, we donate 1% of company revenue into local community projects, supporting young talent and sustaining the places in which we operate.
For 2017 Maven ranked No. 31 on the STARTUP 50, a nationwide list of Canada’s Top New Growth Companies. Serving as a companion list to the longstanding PROFIT 500, ranking of Canada’s Fastest-Growing Companies. In 2019 Maven ranked No. 70 on the Growth 500.
Maven is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will be invited to interview based on their fit with this advertised role. Note – Only people eligible to work in Canada should apply, no international candidates will be considered.
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
- hydroelectric utility: 10 years (Required)
- project management: 8 years (Required)
- Bachelor's Degree (Required)
- Professional Engineer (Preferred)
- Project Management Professional (PMP) (Preferred)